NOTRE DAME, Ind. — No. 19 and undefeated Notre Dame opens ACC play on Saturday, March 2nd at home vs. Louisville at 2 p.m. inside Loftus Sports Center. The contest will be streamed live via ACC Network Extra and live stats will be available on UND.com/mediastats.
THE SERIES vs. LOUISVILLE
- Saturday’s game is the 12th matchup between the Irish and Cardinals all-time.
- Notre Dame has won nine of 11 contests vs. Louisville, including four of five matchups at Notre Dame.
- The two sides last met on March 4th, 2018, when the Irish picked up a 14-9 victory at Louisville.
- This is the first 5-0 start for Notre Dame since 2016. The Irish also started 5-0 or better in 2013, 2012, 2006 and 2004.
- The Irish have scored the first goal in each of their first five contests and have only trailed for 3:14 out of the 300 minutes of play this season.
- The Irish have scored 100 goals and racked up 156 points in their first five victories.
- Maddie Howe leads the Irish with 24 points (15G, 9A) while Samantha Lynch paces the team with 19 goals scored.
- Six players have at least 10 points for the Irish this season, including Howe, Lynch, Andie Aldave (12G, 7A), Jessi Masinko (9G, 10A), Mollie Carr (11G, 4A) and Nikki Ortega (8G, 6A).
- Notre Dame is second in the ACC with 71 caused turnovers in five games and tops the conference with an average of 14.20 caused turnovers per game.
- Aldave leads the Irish with 41 draw controls this season and Savannah Buchanan ranks second on the team with 26.As a team, the Irish have a draw control percentage of 72%, which ranks second in the nation.
ALDAVE & BUCHANAN NAMED TO TEWAARATON WATCH LIST
- Sophomore midfielder Andie Aldave and junior midfielder Savannah Buchanan were both named to the initial watch list for the 2019 Tewaaraton Award, the foundation announced in New York Thursday night (Feb. 28).
- Players not named to the initial watch lists have the opportunity to play their way into a spot as the season progresses. Watch list additions, if applicable, will be announced on March 21 and April 11. On April 25, the field will be narrowed to 25 men’s and 25 women’s nominees. Nominees can be players on the watch lists or players not on the watch lists, effectively allowing for a third round of additions.
- On Friday (Feb. 22) at Ohio State, the Irish broke multiple individual and team records. Andie Aldave broke her own single-game record with 16 draw controls. Aldave’s success on the draw also helped the Irish earn a program-record 23 draw controls against the Buckeyes.
- Maddie Howe notched six goals and six assists, and her 12 points tie Jillian Byers (April 18, 2009 vs. Connecticut) for the most recorded in a single game in Irish history. Howe’s 12 points were the most recorded by an Irish player on the road in program history.
- As a team, the Irish dished out 17 assists, which eclipsed the previous program-high of 16 (vs. California, February 28, 2016).
- The 27 goals and 27-goal margin of victory earned by the Irish on February 24th vs. Kent State are both the highest recorded in program history. That was also the first shutout for the Irish since April 9th, 2010 vs. Villanova.
- Senior goalkeeper Samantha Giacolone enters the contest ranked second in Irish history in saves (489), goals-against average (9.52) and minutes played (3,473). Giacolone also ranks third in program history with 38 wins.
- Sophomore midfielder Andie Aldave (139) and junior midfielder Savannah Buchanan (138) enter the contest ranked sixth and seventh in program history in career draw controls.
- In 2018, midfielder Andie Aldave set a single-season Irish record with 98 draw controls while midfielder Savannah Buchanan’s 67 draw controls were tied for the third most in a single season.
- Last season, Aldave and attacker Maddie Howe became the first freshman duo in Irish history to each score 30+ goals.
- Seniors Jenn Casadonte and Hannah Proctor and junior Savannah Buchanan are captaining the Notre Dame women’s lacrosse team in 2019.
- Notre Dame is No. 19 in both the Intercollegiate Women’s Lacrosse Coaches Association (IWLCA) poll and Inside Lacrosse/Cascade Media poll.
- The Nike Lacrosse/US Lacrosse poll also slots the Irish at #17.
- The Irish are one of seven ACC teams ranked in the IWLCA poll.
- Senior defender Hannah Proctor was named a Preseason Honorable Mention All-American by Inside Lacrosse ahead of the 2019 campaign.
- Junior midfielder Savannah Buchanan and sophomore attacker Maddie Howe were each named to the 2019 Preseason All-ACC Team, the conference announced on Wednesday, February 6th.