NOTRE DAME, Ind. — No. 20 Notre Dame hosts Canisius in its first home game of the 2019 season on Sunday (Feb. 10) at 1 p.m. inside Loftus Sports Center. The contest will be streamed live via ACC Network Extra and live stats will be available on UND.com/mediastats.
THE SERIES vs. CANISIUS
- These two sides haven’t squared off since meeting in three consecutive seasons from 2006-2008. In their last meeting, Notre Dame earned a 22-10 victory over Canisius to open the 2008 season.
- This marks the 4th game between the Irish and Griffins with Notre Dame a perfect 3-0 against Canisius all-time.
LAST TIME OUT
- Notre Dame opened the 2019 season on Friday (Feb. 8) with a 19-4 victory on the road against Marquette.
- Senior Samantha Lynch paced the Irish with six goals and an assist. Lynch’s six goals and seven points were both career-highs.
- Lynch also collected a career-best five ground balls.
- Jessi Masinko added four goals, while Andie Aldave, Mollie Carr and Maddie Howe each netted a hat trick.
- Savannah Buchanan collected eight draw controls and Aldave racked up six.
- The Irish caused 15 Marquette turnovers with Makenna Pearsall leading the way with four.
- Notre Dame earned all 13 draw controls in the second half at Marquette, and 18 in total.
- Seniors Jenn Casadonte and Hannah Proctor and junior Savannah Buchanan are captaining the Notre Dame women’s lacrosse team in 2019.
- Notre Dame is No. 20 in the Inside Women’s Lacrosse Coaches Association (IWLCA) preseason poll and receiving votes in the Inside Lacrosse/Cascade Media preseason poll.
- The Irish are one of seven ACC teams ranked in the IWLCA preseason poll.
- Senior defender Hannah Proctor was named a Preseason Honorable Mention All-American by Inside Lacrosse ahead of the 2019 campaign.
- Junior midfielder Savannah Buchanan and sophomore attacker Maddie Howe were each named to the 2019 Preseason All-ACC Team, the conference announced on Wednesday (Feb. 6)
- Senior goalkeeper Samantha Giacolone entered the 2019 season ranked third in program history in wins (33), goals-against average (9.82) and minutes played (3,226) in addition to fourth all-time with 467 saves.
- In 2018, midfielder Andie Aldave set a single-season Irish record with 98 draw controls while midfielder Savannah Buchanan’s 67 draw controls were tied for the third most in a single season.
- Last season, Aldave and attacker Maddie Howe became the first freshman duo in Irish history to each score 30+ goals.