Oct. 30, 2015
NOTRE DAME, Ind. – The University of Notre Dame volleyball team continues its four-match road trip this weekend in The Triangle of North Carolina, as the Irish face off with NC State (13-9, 2-8 ACC) Friday night before meeting North Carolina (11-8, 8-2 ACC) Sunday afternoon.
ACC Weekend #6 (@ NC State / @ RV UNC)
Raleigh, N.C. (Carmichael Gym)
Chapel Hill, N.C. (Carmichael Arena)
Oct. 31 / Nov. 1, 2015
Facebook: /NDVolleyball / Twitter: @NDVolleyball / Instagram: NDVBall
Snapchat: NDVolleyball / Text Alerts: Irish Alert! Text Messaging (Sign Up On UND.com)
- The Irish enter the weekend looking to snap a five-match losing streak in Atlantic Coast Conference play … ND played perhaps its best set of the year last weekend at Virginia, hitting .393 with six blocks in the opening frame to claim a 25-19 victory … however, ND couldn’t maintain the momentum against the Cavaliers, ultimately falling in four sets.
- The Wolfpack sit just one match ahead of the Irish in the ACC standings, posting a 3-1 victory over Wake Forest and a 3-0 win at Clemson earlier this season … NC State opened the year 11-1 before struggling in conference play … freshman Blayke Hranicka is hitting .365 in ACC play to sit in sixth place in the league … she is also fourth in blocks per set (1.39), tied for seventh in service aces per set (0.34) and seventh in points per set (4.20).
- The Tar Heels played a brutal non-conference schedule that included matches against No. 1 Southern Cal, No. 16 BYU, No. 12 Wisconsin, No. 4 Minnesota, No. 7 Stanford, No. 25 Michigan and Michigan State, who is receiving votes … since beginning ACC play UNC is 8-2 … the tandem of Victoria McPherson (1.65) and Paige Neuenfeldt (1.53) are first and third, respectively, in blocks per set in ACC matches … the former is hitting .462 in league play while the latter is attacking at a .396 clip, which places them first and fifth, respectively, among ACC student-athletes.
- Notre Dame freshman libero Ryan DeJarld is ninth in digs per set (3.92) in ACC contests … she leads the team in digs (324) and service aces (20) … sophomore Sam Fry is hitting .284 in league matches and leads the Irish in kills (103) and blocks (34) … overall she has 254 kills and 78 blocks.
- Notre Dame is looking for its first win over either school since joining the ACC in 2013 … the Wolfpack beat the Irish in four sets in 2013 and in three last season while the Tar Heels have claimed a pair of sweeps over the last two seasons.
Individual match tickets for Notre Dame volleyball are on sale throughout the rest of the season. Visit und.com/tickets or call the Murnane Family Ticket Office at 574-631-7356 for more information.
For the latest Irish volleyball coverage, be sure to log on to UND.com or follow the program on Facebook (/NDVolleyball), Twitter (@NDVolleyball), Instagram (NDVBall) and Snapchat (NDVolleyball).
–Russell Dorn, Athletics Communications Assistant Director