Oct. 2, 2015
NOTRE DAME, Ind. – Looking to turn the corner after a tough weekend against Louisville and No. 17 Florida State to open Atlantic Coast Conference play, the University of Notre Dame volleyball team wraps up its four-match home stand this weekend with meetings against former BIG EAST foes Boston College (7 p.m. Friday) and Syracuse (12 p.m. Sunday).
ACC Weekend #2 (Boston College / Syracuse)
Notre Dame, Indiana (Purcell Pavilion)
October 2/4, 2015
Friday, Oct. 2
7 p.m.: Boston College (8-6, 0-2 ACC) @ Notre Dame (5-9, 0-2 ACC) – Live Stats / ESPN3
Marketing & Promotions: Free shirts for first 500 fans
Sunday, Oct. 4
12 p.m.: Syracuse (11-2, 2-0 ACC) @ Notre Dame – Live Stats / ESPN3
Marketing & Promotions: Daddy Daughter Date Night / Post match autographs
Facebook: /NDVolleyball / Twitter: @NDVolleyball / Instagram: NDVBall
Snapchat: NDVolleyball / Text Alerts: Irish Alert! Text Messaging (Sign Up On UND.com)
Here are five things you need to know to be prepared for the weekend:
- Notre Dame has historically performed very well against Boston College and Syracuse, holding a 35-6 advantage combined all-time … the total includes a 25-2 mark in the BIG EAST … however, both series have become much tighter since all three joined the ACC … the Irish and the Eagles have played three five-setters in their last four meetings (ND leads 3-1), while ND and `Cuse are 2-2 in their four previous showdowns.
- Sophomore Sam Fry has been Miss Consistency this year for the Irish, but has been especially impressive over the last nine matches … the Cincinnati native is averaging 3.42 kills per set and 1.18 blocks per set during that time frame, which is tops on the team in both categories by a wide margin.
- Syracuse has gotten off to an hot start to begin 2015 … the Orange opened 5-0 before falling to No. 13 Arizona (3-1) and No. 15 Ohio State (3-1) … they have since run off six wins in a row to improve to 11-2 … `Cuse is second in ACC in opponent hitting percentage (.146) and third in hitting percentage (.260) … they are also second in league in blocks per set (3.00) and service aces per set (1.61) … fans should look out for freshman middle Santita Ebangwese and sophomore middle Leah Levert.
- Boston College sits at 8-6 after a 4-0 start to the year was followed by four straight losses … the Eagles then won four more in a row before falling on the road at Syracuse (3-1) and at Georgia Tech (3-2) last weekend … BC is led by outside hitter Katty Workman, who is the program’s all-time leader in kills … she is second in the ACC with 4.24 per set this season.
- The Irish have become quite proficient at serving this year under head coach Jim McLaughlin … Notre Dame is fourth in the ACC with 1.51 per set … five different players have 11 or more on the year and junior Katie Higgins is ninth in the ACC in average (0.34 per set).
Individual match tickets for Notre Dame volleyball are on sale throughout the rest of the season. Visit und.com/tickets or call the Murnane Family Ticket Office at 574-631-7356 for more information.
For the latest Irish volleyball coverage, be sure to log on to UND.com or follow the program on Facebook (/NDVolleyball), Twitter (@NDVolleyball), Instagram (NDVBall) and Snapchat (NDVolleyball).
–Russell Dorn, Athletics Communications Assistant Director