Oct. 21, 2015
NOTRE DAME, Ind. – A different schedule has the University of Notre Dame volleyball team switching up its weekly routine, as the Irish continue Atlantic Coast Conference play this week with a 7 p.m. (ET) Wednesday match at No. 24 Louisville before traveling to Charlottesville, Virginia for a 7 p.m. (ET) Friday contest with the Virginia Cavaliers.
Notre Dame’s fall break has allowed for the out of the ordinary schedule, a schedule that each ACC team participates in twice a year. The Irish (6-14, 1-7 ACC) will also play on Wednesday and Friday over Thanksgiving break at Syracuse and Boston College.
ACC Weekend #5 (@ No. 24 Louisville / @ Virginia)
Louisville, Ky. (KFC Yum! Center)
Charlottesville, Va. (Memorial Gym)
Oct. 21 / 23, 2015
Friday, Oct. 23
1 p.m.: Notre Dame @ Virginia (13-6, 5-3 ACC) – / Paid Video
Facebook: /NDVolleyball / Twitter: @NDVolleyball / Instagram: NDVBall
Snapchat: NDVolleyball / Text Alerts: Irish Alert! Text Messaging (Sign Up On UND.com)
- The Irish and Cardinals are meeting for the second time in three weeks … Louisville swept Notre Dame at Purcell Pavilion September 25 … scores were 25-23, 25-19, 25-16 … ND was swept last season at the KFC Yum! Center, but does boast success at the arena … in 2012, the Irish rallied from a 2-0 deficit to stun the No. 10 Cardinals in five sets … in the final frame, ND beat Louisville, 15-3.
- Virginia is 3-0 against Notre Dame since the latter joined the ACC in 2013 … however, the programs have played some memorable matches … in 2013 at Purcell Pavilion, the Cavaliers swept the Irish but needed to reach 39 points in the first set to claim victory … in that first set, Irish defensive specialist Erin Klosterman had to play the front row after ND ran out of subs … she ended up tallying a block assist … last year the Irish held a 2-1 lead before losing a wild fourth set that saw the two teams rack up 64 points (33-31) … UVA claimed the fifth set, 15-8, to earn the comeback win.
- Sophomore Sam Fry continues to put together an outstanding season, as she leads the team in kills and blocks … she has led or tied for the team lead in kills 12 times and led in attack percentage and blocks seven times … the Cincinnati native has recorded 10 or more kills in 13 contests this season … against Louisville earlier in the year she posted 10 kills and attacked at a .421 clip … in three career matches against the Cardinals, Fry has 30 kills and a .354 attack percentage … last year against the Cavaliers, she had 11 kills.
- Freshman libero Ryann DeJarld has been impressive in her last five matches, totaling 98 digs over 20 sets, which comes out to 4.9 digs per set, well above her 3.9 digs per set average for the year.
- This week kicks off a stretch that will see the Irish play four matches in a row on the road and eight of their final 12 regular season contests away from the friendly confines of Purcell Pavilion.
Individual match tickets for Notre Dame volleyball are on sale throughout the rest of the season. Visit und.com/tickets or call the Murnane Family Ticket Office at 574-631-7356 for more information.
For the latest Irish volleyball coverage, be sure to log on to UND.com or follow the program on Facebook (/NDVolleyball), Twitter (@NDVolleyball), Instagram (NDVBall) and Snapchat (NDVolleyball).
–Russell Dorn, Athletics Communications Assistant Director