Feb. 19, 2015
NOTRE DAME, Ind. – Three former University of Notre Dame players have been officially invited to the National Football League Combine, to be held Feb. 20-23, 2015, at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis.
Last season, RB George Atkinson III, CB Bennett Jackson, WR TJ Jones, OT Zack Martin, TE Troy Niklas, DL Louis Nix III, OLB Prince Shembo, DL Stephon Tuitt and OG Chris Watt were invited to the event. Martin, Watt, Jones, Shembo, Nix III, Jackson, Niklas and Tuitt were selected in the 2014 NFL Draft and all nine players were on NFL rosters this past season (including Atkinson III).
In 2013, C Braxston Cave, TE Tyler Eifert, DL Kapron Lewis-Moore, S Zeke Motta, RB Theo Riddick, S Jamoris Slaughter, ILB Manti Te’o and RB Cierre Wood received an invitation to the prestigious event. Eifert, Lewis-Moore, Motta, Riddick, Slaughter and Te’o were selected in the 2013 NFL Draft and five of those six players were on NFL rosters this season (as were Cave and Wood).
Year Participants (Names)
|2015||3||(Kyle Brindza, DaVaris Daniels and Ben Koyack)|
|2014||9||(George Atkinson III, Bennett Jackson, TJ Jones, Zack Martin, Troy Niklas, Louis Nix III, Prince Shembo, Stephon Tuitt and Chris Watt)|
|2013||8||(Braxston Cave, Tyler Eifert, Kapron Lewis-Moore, Zeke Motta, Theo Riddick, Jamoris Slaughter, Manti Te’o and Cierre Wood)|
|2012||6||(Robert Blanton, Taylor Dever, Darius Fleming, Michael Floyd, Jonas Gray and Harrison Smith)|
|2011||3||(Armando Allen, Kyle Rudolph and Ian Williams)|
|2010||5||(Jimmy Clausen, Kyle McCarthy, Eric Olsen, Golden Tate, Sam Young)|
|2008||4||(John Carlson, Trevor Laws, John Sullivan and Tom Zbikowski)|
Notre Dame 2015 NFL Combine Notes
- Notre Dame has had 20 combined participants in the 2013, 2014 and 2015 NFL Scouting Combines. Only Florida State (34), Alabama (33), LSU (30) and Florida (27) have combined for more in those three years.
- Notre Dame’s 20 combined participants in the 2013, 2014 and 2015 NFL Scouting Combines surpasses the entire Irish output (19) over the previous five NFL Combines (2008-12).
- Notre Dame has had 26 combined participants in the 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 NFL Scouting Combines. Only Alabama (34), Alabama (42), Florida State (40), LSU (38), Florida (30) and USC (27) have combined for more in the last four years.
- Thirteen schools have at least six participants in the 2015 NFL Scouting Combine. Notre Dame played nine of those 13 schools between 2012-14 a total of 15 times (Florida State, Alabama, Louisville, Miami, Oklahoma twice, LSU, USC three times, Stanford three times and Michigan State twice).
- Twelve of Notre Dame’s 13 foes in 2014 have at least one participant in the 2015 NFL Scouting Combine. The 12 opponents have a combined 55 players participating in this year’s event (out of a possible 322 combine participants).
- Seventeen schools have had at least 20 combined participants in the 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 NFL Scouting Combines. Notre Dame will have played seven of them a total of 15 times between 2012-14 (Alabama, Florida State, LSU, USC four times, Oklahoma twice, Stanford four times, Michigan State twice).
- All seven of those schools rank among the top 14 in terms of NFL Combine participants since 2012.
- Alabama (42), Florida State (40) and LSU (38) rank 1-2-3. USC (27) is fifth, Oklahoma (25) is tied for eighth, Stanford (24) is 10th and Michigan State is tied for 14th.
— ND —