Aug. 28, 2015
NOTRE DAME, Ind. – After months of training and prep under national championship winning head coach Jim McLaughlin, the journey officially begins for the University of Notre Dame volleyball team Saturday, as the Irish kick off a new era in Murfreesboro, Tennessee at the Blue Raider Bash.
Blue Raider Bash (Host: Middle Tennessee State)
Murfreesboro, Tennessee (Alumni Memorial Gym)
August 28-30, 2015
Weekend Schedule (ND Begins Play Saturday)
Friday, August 28
10 a.m. – Middle Tennessee State vs. Cleveland State
12 p.m. – Bowling Green vs. Indiana
5:30 p.m. – Middle Tennessee State vs. Bowling Green
7:30 p.m. – Indiana vs. Cleveland State
Saturday, August 29
10 a.m. – Notre Dame vs. Bowling Green – Live Stats& Live Video
12 p.m. – Middle Tennessee State vs. Indiana
2 p.m. – Notre Dame vs. Cleveland State – Live Stats
7:30 p.m. – Cleveland State vs. Bowling Green
Here are five things you need to know to be prepared for the season-opening tournament.
- Notre Dame is a combined 10-4 all-time against Bowling Green (8-2), Cleveland State (2-1) and Middle Tennessee State (0-1) … the Irish beat Bowling Green, 3-1, at Purcell Pavilion in 2013 in the opening match of the Golden Dome Invitational … ND and Cleveland State haven’t played since 1994 … the Irish and the host Blue Raiders have met just once – a 3-1 MTSU victory – in 2013 at the very same Blue Raider Bash.
- Preseason all-Atlantic Coast Conference selection Sam Fry has made the move to the outside for her sophomore campaign … last year as a freshman, the Cincinnati, Ohio native Fry played in the middle and led the squad in solo blocks (15), assisted blocks (92), total blocks (107) and blocks per set (1.00), while finishing second in points (324.0), points per set (3.03), service aces (21) and attack percentage (.242) and third in kills (242) and kills per set (2.26) to earn all-Freshman ACC honors.
- After splitting time at the position in 2014, sophomore Maddie Dilfer has the starting setter spot all to herself in 2015 … under the respected coaching eye of McLaughlin, the Saratoga, California native has shown much improvement since the end of her rookie campaign and looks to have a breakout 2015 campaign.
- Speaking of McLaughlin, after coaching 787 matches between USC (men), Kansas State (women) and Washington (women), the California native will coach in his inaugural match with the Irish Saturday … a two-time national championship winner between USC and Washington, McLaughlin has piled up an impressive 579-208 (.735) mark in 25 seasons as a head coach.
- A productive fall camp saw all 15 members of the 2015 team receive plenty of chances to grow and improve … fans ought to keep an eye out for who gets the nod at libero to open the season … the Irish boast three strong candidates in returning starter Natalie Johnson in addition to a pair of talented freshmen in Kelly Byrne and Ryann DeJarld … ND also has four middle blockers and six outside hitters on the roster … new addition – Taylor Zwickl – will offer depth at the setter position.
Season tickets for Notre Dame volleyball are on sale. Visit und.com/ticketsor call the Murnane Family Ticket Office at 574-631-7356 for more information.
For the latest Irish volleyball coverage, be sure to log on to UND.com or follow the program on Facebook (/NDVolleyball), Twitter (@NDVolleyball) and Instagram (NDVBall).
–Russell Dorn, Athletics Communications Assistant Director