Feb. 12, 2016
NOTRE DAME, Ind. – Ten former University of Notre Dame players have been officially invited to the National Football League Scouting Combine, to be held Feb. 23-29, 2016, at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis.
Wide receiver Chris Brown, defensive lineman Sheldon Day, wide receiver Will Fuller, center Nick Martin, defensive lineman Romeo Okwara, running back C.J. Prosise, cornerback KeiVarae Russell, safety Elijah Shumate, linebacker Jaylon Smith and offensive tackle Ronnie Stanley have each received an invitation to the prestigious event.
Year Participants (Names)2016 10 (Chris Brown, Sheldon Day, Will Fuller, Nick Martin, Romeo Okwara, C.J. Prosise, KeiVarae Russell, Elijah Shumate, Jaylon Smith and Ronnie Stanley)2015 3 (Kyle Brindza, DaVaris Daniels and Ben Koyack)2014 9 (George Atkinson III, Bennett Jackson, TJ Jones, Zack Martin, Troy Niklas, Louis Nix III, Prince Shembo, Stephon Tuitt and Chris Watt)2013 8 (Braxston Cave, Tyler Eifert, Kapron Lewis-Moore, Zeke Motta, Theo Riddick, Jamoris Slaughter, Manti Te'o and Cierre Wood)2012 6 (Robert Blanton, Taylor Dever, Darius Fleming, Michael Floyd, Jonas Gray and Harrison Smith)2011 3 (Armando Allen, Kyle Rudolph and Ian Williams)2010 5 (Jimmy Clausen, Kyle McCarthy, Eric Olsen, Golden Tate, Sam Young)2009 1 (David Bruton)2008 4 (John Carlson, Trevor Laws, John Sullivan and Tom Zbikowski)2007 6 (Victor Abiamiri, Ryan Harris, Chinedum Ndukwe, Brady Quinn, Dan Santucci and Darius Walker)
Notre Dame NFL Scouting Combine Notes
- Notre Dame’s 10 participants in this year’s NFL Scouting Combine ranks as the second-most in the nation behind Ohio State’s 14. Alabama and UCLA are next in line with nine, while Florida, Georgia, Clemson and Auburn each have eight.
- Notre Dame has had 36 combined participants in the 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016 NFL Scouting Combines. Only Alabama (51), Florida State (46), LSU (43) and Florida (38) have combined for more in those five years.
- Notre Dame has had 30 combined participants in the 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016 NFL Scouting Combines. Only Alabama (42), Florida State (40), LSU (35), Florida (35) and Ohio State (31) have combined for more in those four years.
- Notre Dame’s 36 combined participants in the last five NFL Scouting Combines almost doubles the entire Irish output (19) over the previous five NFL Combines (2007-11).
- Twenty-one schools have at least six participants in the 2016 NFL Scouting Combine. Notre Dame played nine of those 21 schools between 2012-15 a total of 17 times (USC four times, Stanford four times, Michigan State twice, Oklahoma twice, Alabama, Clemson, Florida State, LSU and Ohio State).
- Eleven of Notre Dame’s 13 foes in 2015 have at least one participant in the 2016 NFL Scouting Combine. The 11 opponents have a combined 48 players participating in this year’s event (out of a possible 332 combine participants).
- Eighteen schools have had at least 20 combined participants in the 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016 NFL Scouting Combines. Notre Dame played nine of them a total of 17 times between 2012-15 (USC four times, Stanford four times, Michigan State twice, Oklahoma twice, Alabama, Clemson, Florida State, LSU and Ohio State).
- All nine of those schools rank among the top 13 in terms of NFL Combine participants since 2012.
Michael Bertsch, director of football media relations at the University of Notre Dame, has been part of the Fighting Irish athletics communications team since 2006. An Akron, Ohio, native, he graduated from Walsh University (Ohio) in 1998 with a bachelor’s degree in communications and also received his master’s degree in health and physical education with an emphasis in sports administration from Marshall University in 2001.