2020-21 Women's Basketball Roster
#21 Anaya Peoples
Hometown Danville, IL
High School Schlarman High
- 2020 ACC All-Freshman Team
- 2019 Cancun Challenge All-Tournament Team
- ACC Freshman of the Week (Dec. 2, 2019)
- Points: 22 (vs DePaul, 12/11/19)
- Rebounds: 15 (vs DePaul, 12/11/19)
- Field Goals Made: 11 (vs DePaul, 12/11/19)
- Field Goals Attempted: 16 (at UConn, 12/8/19)
- 3-Point Field Goals Made: 1, 2x (last vs USF, 11/30/19)
- 3-Point Field Goals Attempted: 4 (at UConn, 12/8/19)
- Free Throws Made: 5, 2x (last vs USF, 11/30/19)
- Free Throws Attempted: 9, 2x (last vs USF, 11/30/19)
- Assists: 6 (vs Minnesota, 12/4/19)
- Blocks: 2, 4x (last at Syracuse, 1/5/20)
- Steals: 4, 3x (last vs Clemson, 12/29/19)
- Minutes: 39 (vs South Dakota State, 11/29/19)
- Double-figure scoring: 12
- Double-figure rebounds: 4
- Double-doubles: 3
- 20-point games: 1
FRESHMAN SEASON (2019-20) – stat rankings/notes were at time of her injury on Jan. 12
- ACC All-Freshman Team selection
- Played in 17 games, with 10 starts, averaging 31.6 minutes/game. Peoples left the NC State game on Jan. 12 with a shoulder injury and was out the rest of the season after requiring surgery.
- Early favorite for ACC Rookie of the Year, but ultimately nabbed ACC All-Freshman Team honors. Peoples led all ACC freshmen in rebounds (8.1), shooting percentage (.457) and steals (1.9), while ranking second in points (12.6) behind fellow teammate Sam Brunelle.
- Her 8.1 rebounds/game led the team and ranked 11th in the ACC. Peoples also ranked 11th in the ACC in offensive rebounds (2.7) and 13th in defensive boards (5.4). In addition, her 8.1 rebounding average ranked 10th in the nation among true freshmen guards.
- Her 8.1 rebounding average also ranked third all-time as a freshman at ND, ranking behind just Shari Matvey (10.2) an Mary Beth Schueth (9.1).
- There were only five true freshmen in the country averaging over 12.5 ppg and 8 rpg: Anaya Peoples, Evansville’s Abby Feit, UC Santa Barbara’s Ila Lane, South Carolina’s Aliyah Boston and USC’s Alissa Pill. Of that group, Peoples boasted the most steals.
- Her three double-doubles ranked 2nd in the ACC for freshmen only, behind Pitt’s Amber Brown.
- Peoples’ 12.6 ppg ranked 30th in the nation among true freshmen, while her 8.1 rpg ranked 12th.
- Peoples was the most efficient guard from the field, knocking down 45.7 percent of her shots, which ranked 7th in the ACC.
- Brunelle (13.9 ppg), Gilbert (13.6 ppg) and Peoples (12.6 ppg) became the first Notre Dame freshmen trio to finish a season with a double-digit scoring average.
- Garnered career highs in both rebounds (15) and points (22) vs. DePaul on Dec. 11.
- Named to the Cancun Challenge All-Tournament Team, along with earning ACC Rookie of the Week honors. Peoples averaged 17.3 points and 8.7 rebounds down in Cancun. Peoples nearly achieved a double-double in each game, reeling in 9, 8, 9 boards, respectively.
- Averaged 1.9 steals/game, which ranked 5th in the ACC.
- Peoples and Brunelle became the first pair of freshmen starters for a season opener since Teresa Borton & Jacqueline Batteast started the 2001-02 season opener.
- Tallied 11 points & seven rebounds in her Irish debut at Fordham. Peoples scored seven of her points in the third quarter. The freshman then grabbed a critical offensive board off a missed free throw with nine seconds left, before returning to the line to ice the 60-55 win.
- Gilbert & Peoples have played together every summer since they were seven & six years old, respectively.
- Ranked No. 21 overall by espnW in Class of 2019 and No. 4 at her position.
- Attended Dan Schlarman High School where she played basketball under her father, Keith Peoples.
- Two-time Illinois Class 1A State champion (2018 & 2019).
- Finished her career with 2,086 points.
- 2019 McDonald’s All-American Team
- Tied for most points on the West Team with 11.
- 2019 Jordan Brand Classic member.
- 2019 WCIA3 Sports Girls Basketball Player of the Year.
- IBCA 1A/2A All-State in 2016, 2017 and 2018
- 2018 Naismith All-America honorable mention.
- 2018 USA Today All-Illinois Player of the Year and First Team.
- Guided Schlarman to a 33-2 record and back-to-back state titles as a senior. Averaged 18.8 ppg, 7.9 rpg and 3.7 apg.
- Averaged 16.9 ppg, 6.7 rpg and 4.7 spg as a junior. Helped team to a 1A state title.
- Won the gold medal at the 2018 FIBA Americas with the U18 USA team.
- Started in two of six games and averaged 5.3 ppg and 3.7 rpg, and tied for a team high with 3.0 apg, helping USA to a 6-0 record and the gold medal in Mexico City.