#9 Chelsea Purcell
AS A SENIOR (2020)
- Saw action in three games of the NFCA Leadoff Classic, starting two at shortstop and totaling seven putouts and three assists.
AS A SOPHOMORE (2018):
• Played in 19 games, earning seven starts in the field before missing the remainder of the season due to injury.
• Batted .250 with one double, one triple, two RBI, a .348 on-base percentage and four runs scored in only 20 official at-bats for the year.
• Singled and scored a run in first start of the season against Saint Mary’s (Feb. 9).
• Scored after entering a pinch runner the following day in a win over South Dakota (Feb. 10).
• Added a hit and a run scored to close the opening weekend against Fresno State (Feb. 11).
• Career-high three hits, including a double and a triple, and drove in two runs to complete a weekend sweep of No. 14 Minnesota (Feb. 18).
• Crossed the plate as a pinch runner in a win over St. John’s (Feb. 24).
• Injured during March series at NC State and missed the remainder of the season.
AS A FRESHMAN (2017):
• Competed in 27 games during freshman season, starting 17 games at a combination of shortstop and designated player.
• Finished the year with three extra-base hits, two RBI and four runs scored.
• Made 25 assists in limited fielding chances at shortstop.
• Scored a run in first career collegiate game against Weber State (Feb. 10).
• Registered first career hit, a double, against No. 13 Minnesota (Feb. 17) at the ACC/Big Ten Challenge.
• Went 1-for-3 with a run scored against Texas (Feb. 23) at the Mary Nutter Collegiate Classic.
• Drove in first career RBI by way of a double versus Purdue (March 4).
• Roped a triple and scored a run in a win over Chattanooga (March 5).
• Scored after entering as a pinch runner in game two of an ACC doubleheader at Georgia Tech (March 11).
• Added an RBI during a midweek win at Mercer (March 15).
• Finished with one hit in Melissa Cook Stadium debut against Detroit Mercy (April 11).
PREP AND PERSONAL:
• Multi-year softball letterwinner at Sonora High School.
• Batted .410 with 10 doubles, four home runs, 17 RBI, a .459 on-base percentage a .743 slugging percentage and 23 runs scored as a senior to claim Whittier Daily News all-area second team honors.
• Competed in the 2016 Whittier Rotary All-Star Baseball and Softball Classic.
• Named team most valuable player and was a first team all-league selection as a junior after batting .462 with nine extra-base hits, 11 RBI, three stolen bases and 20 runs scored in 21 games.
• Hit at a .380 clip as a sophomore, connecting on six doubles, seven home runs, 21 RBI, and scored 18 runs.
• Was a first team all-league selection that season, and was named team defensive player of the year.
• Batted .319 as a freshman, with 12 of 23 total hits going for extra bases, driving in 17 runs and scoring 14 times.
• Tabbed as the team offensive player of the year after rookie campaign.
• Competed with Firecrackers-Brashear, the SoCal Athletics-McNee/Meyers, and the Ohana Tigers on the club circuit.
• The Firecrackers squad was the undefeated 2011 ASA national champion, while the SoCal A’s took the top spot in the 16u draw at 2014 PGF Nationals.
• Was a scholar-athlete over four years at Sonora High School.
• Daughter of Mo and Pamela Purcell.
• Has one sister, Amber Smith, who played softball at Alabama State.
• Is the 50th player from California to play for Notre Dame softball, the most represented state on the all-time Irish varsity roster.
• Enrolled in the College of Arts and Letters, majoring in film, television and theatre.