2019-20 Men's Basketball Roster
#33 John Mooney
Hometown Orlando, FL
High School Lake Brantley
HONORS AND AWARDS
- 2019 All-ACC Third Team
- 2018 Gotham Classic Showcase Game Most Outstanding Player
- 2017 ACC Academic Honor Roll
- Finished the season as the leading rebounder in the ACC for both all games (11.2) and league games (12.6). Also ranked 18th in the ACC in scoring (14.1), ninth in field goal percentage (.455), fourth in offensive rebounds (2.94) and first in defensive rebounds (8.27).
- Ranked fourth in the country for individual defensive rebounds (8.3) in 2018-19.
- Logged eight consecutive double-doubles from Jan. 5, 2019 through Feb. 2, 2019 – the fourth-best run in Notre Dame history and the most since Luke Harangody set the school mark with 11 straight in 2008-09.
- Ended up fifth in the country in rebounds per game (11.2) and posted the highest average for any major conference player in the NCAA.
- Grabbed 348 rebounds on the season, third on the Notre Dame single-season list during the Mike Brey era.
- Finished the year as one of just seven major conference players to average a double-double (14.1 ppg, 11.2 rpg).
- Led all major conference players with a 12.6 rebounds-per-game average in conference play during the 2018-19 season. That 12.6 rpg average in ACC play is the second-best in league play since 1988.
- Logged 13 double-doubles in ACC play, the most since Tim Duncan set the mark with 15 in the 1996-97 season.
- Recorded his fifth 20-point, 10-rebound performance of the season in the ACC first-round victory over Georgia Tech (3/12/19) with 20 points, 10 rebounds and three assists.
- Posted another outstanding performance vs. Clemson (3/6/19), recording the first 20-rebound game of his career with 20 rebounds, 18 points and a career-high (and team-high) five assists. The first player to record 20 rebounds against Clemson since 2008.
- Tried to carry the Irish to victory at Louisville (3/3/19) with a game-high 22 points, 13 rebounds, three assists and three steals in 33 minutes for his 18th double-double of the year.
- Secured his 17th double-double of the season with 12 points and 10 rebounds vs. Virginia Tech (2/23/19).
- Earned second double-double of the season against Virginia (12/16/19) with 11 points and a game-high 15 rebounds.
- Worked through a tough shooting night against Georgia Tech (2/10/19) to log his 15th double-double of the season, grabbing a game-high 14 rebounds.
- Extended his ACC-leading streak of eight consecutive games with a double-double at Boston College (2/2/19) with 15 points and 13 rebounds.
- Streak of noteworthy games continued at Georgia Tech (1/22/19) leading the Irish with 22 points, 14 rebounds, two assists, two blocks and two steals.
- Continued to carry the load for the Irish front line with his fourth consecutive double-double against No. 17/16 NC State (1/19/19) with 19 points, 16 rebounds and two blocked shots in the four-point loss to the Wolfpack.
- Went toe-to-toe with national player of the year candidate Luke Maye at No. 13/15 North Carolina and outplayed the Tar Heel entire front line, posting a career-high 19 rebounds with 16 points and a career-best four blocked shots.
- Turned in a virtuoso performance when Notre Dame needed it most against Boston College (1/12/19) – with Juwan Durham (ankle) and T.J. Gibbs (illness) sidelined, scoring a career-high 27 points with 12 rebounds and three blocks while playing 39 minutes and carrying the Irish to a key conference victory.
- Scored nine of his 14 points and grabbed 10 of his 14 rebounds in the second half against Syracuse (1/5/19), posting his seventh double-double of the season.
- Perfect from the field (six-for-six) against Jacksonville (12/20/18) to post 16 points and fifth game with 15-or-more points this season.
- Cruised to a sixth double-double of the season against Binghamton (12/18/18) with 12 points and 12 rebounds.
- Carried Notre Dame to victory over Purdue (12/15/18) with 15 of his 21 points in the second half, including five rebounds and a block over the final 20 minutes to complete the game perfect behind the arc (3-for-3).
- Battled against the athletic front court at UCLA (12/8/18) to post his fifth double-double of the season with 12 points and 11 rebounds in 29 minutes.
- Logged the fastest double-double of his career, reaching double figures in points and rebounds with 7:18 remaining in the first half against Oklahoma (12/4/18). Started the game by pulling down the first defensive rebound of the game, then grabbing four offensive rebounds on Notre Dame’s first offensive possession. Finished the game with 15 points and a career-best 14 rebounds for his fifth career double-double and fourth of the season.
- Took a backseat in a scoring role against DePaul (11/24/18) but posted his four consecutive double-digit rebounding game with three points and 11 rebounds.
- Keyed Notre Dame’s late game run to seize the victory over Duquesne, ending up scoring 14 of his game-high 16 points in the final 20 minutes and recording his third consecutive double-double (10 rebounds). Performance earned him the 2018 Gotham Classic Showcase Game Most Outstanding Player Award.
- Kept Notre Dame in the game with Radford (11/14/18) by turning in a career-best performance scoring 24 points with 12 rebounds (both career-highs) and logging the second double-double of his career. Also connected on six three pointers (hitting his first five of the game).
- Became the 11th Mike Brey era player to connect on six or more 3FGs in a single game multiple times against Radford (11/14/18) – and the tallest of the 11 players to do so.
- Set the tone for the Irish in the season-opening victory over UIC (11/6/18) with five offensive rebounds, 10 points and one assist in 17 minutes of action.
- Grabbed nine rebounds in just 11 minutes of action against Pittsburgh (2/28/18) in Notre Dame’s first game of the ACC tournament.
- Connected on all six three-point field goals at North Carolina (2/12/18), matching the school record for three-point field goals made without a miss – set by Matt Carroll on against UT-Chattanooga (11/24/2001) at the Hawaii-Pacific Thanksgiving Classic.
- Scored 16 points with five rebounds and two assists at Boston College (2/17/18).
- Tried to fight through a sprained ankle suffered in practice on February 1 at NC State (2/3/18) and started the game, but was limited to just eight minutes.
- Was on pace for a third consecutive career-best game at No. 4/5 Duke (1/29/18) before fouling out for the first time in his career. He ended the game with four three pointers and 14 points.
- Returned to the starting lineup vs. Virginia Tech (2/27/18) and responded with a second-consecutive solid performance, posting 15 points with 11 rebounds (his first career double-double) in 32 minutes.
- Scored 13 points off the bench, connected on three three pointers with seven rebounds at No. 20/18 Clemson (1/20/18).
- Made first career start vs. No. 20/18 North Carolina (1/13/18), scoring five points with five rebounds.
- Earned 25 minutes of playing time at Georgia Tech (1/10/18) and responded with the first double-figure scoring game of his career, scoring 11 points with eight rebounds.
- Made the most of his seven minutes of action against Loyola Maryland (11/18/16) with seven points, four rebounds and his first career three point field goal.
- Made his Notre Dame debut in the season-opening win over Bryant (11/12/16), playing four minutes and grabbing two rebounds.
- Named the MVP of the Toyota Classic in Lexington, Ky., posting 24 points and 26 rebounds in the championship game.
- Finished as Lake Brantley’s all-time leading rebounder and scorer while averaging 19 wins per season throughout his high school career.
- Member of the Nike Team Florida AAU team.
- Earned Lake Brantley’s Gary Hayes Memorial Award for a student-athlete who shows leadership.
- Full name is John Patrick Mooney.
- Born in Baltimore, MD.
- Son of Kevin and Margaret Mooney, along with older brother Brendan and older sister Caitlin.
- Brother, Brendan, played basketball at Spring Hill College in Mobile, Ala., following in the footsteps of father, Kevin, who played golf at Spring Hill College.
- Enrolled in the Mendoza College of Business with a major in management consulting.