2020-21 Football Roster
#4 Nick McCloud
Height 6-0 1/2
Hometown Rock Hill, SC
High School South Pointe/NC State
HONORS & AWARDS
- Pro Football Focus Team of the Week at Pitt (10/24/20)
- Phil Steele Preseason All-Independent Second Team (2020)
GRADUATE SEASON (2020)
- In his first start for the Irish, McCloud posted five tackles (four solo), the third-highest mark on the team, as well as a pass breakup in the season-opening win vs. Duke (9/12).
- Started in the 52-0 win vs. South Florida (9/19).
- Made two tackles, adding two pass breakups, in the win vs. Florida State (10/10).
- Started and posted two solo tackles and 1.0 TFL (-2 yards) in the 12-7 win over Louisville (10/17).
- Started and posted four tackles (three solo), one pass breakup and one INT in the 45-3 win at Pitt (10/24). McCloud snagged his first interception in an Irish uniform against Pitt, marking the fourth of his career (three while playing at NC State). His four tackles tied for second on a defense that held Pitt to just a field goal. According to Pro Football Focus, McCloud’s receivers were targeted six times, making just three catches. He earned an 80.1 PFF tackle grade and a 76.2 coverage grade, resulting in a 75.6 overall defensive grade. McCloud’s interception came on the first play of a Pitt third-quarter drive to give the Irish possession at the Panthers’ 35-yard line, and the resulting series culminated in a Notre Dame rushing TD.
At NC State
AS A JUNIOR (2018)
- Started 11 games right corner, he ranked ninth in the ACC in passes defended last season.
- Had two interceptions in his 11 games played, along with eight PBUs.
- Also had a 12-yard fumble recovery in the win at Marshall.
- Ranked fourth on the team in tackles.
- Missed the Syracuse and FSU games with an injury.
- Tallied a career-high 10 tackles at Clemson to lead the team.
AS A SOPHOMORE (2017)
- Started the first six games of 2017 as returning senior starter Mike Stevens was injured. Also started the win over Arizona State in the Sun Bowl.
- The Pack posts a 7-1 record in games he has started in his career.
- Tied his career best with seven tackles in the bowl game, he also picked off his first career pass in that contest, returning it 53 yards.
AS A FRESHMAN (2016)
- One of just two true freshman to see action from scrimmage on defense.
- Started the Independence Bowl win over Vanderbilt.
- Chosen to participate in Freshman Honors Convocation.
IN HIGH SCHOOL
- Played defensive back and wide receiver at South Pointe High School. Helped lead his team to a 14-1 record and the South Carolina Class AAA championship as a senior. Team won the title game, 35-0 – its second straight state title
- Junior Stats: Caught 33 passes for 349 yards and 2 TDs.
- Honors: Named to the 2015 all-state team by USA Today and SCHSL. Played in the North/South All-Star game.
- Rankings: No. 7 player in the state of South Carolina by rivals.com. No. 117 cornerback nationally, No. 7 in South Carolina, by scout.com.