March 30, 2018
By Michael Scholl
How It Happened
Head coach Jay Louderback shuffled the Irish doubles lineup, with Cameron Corse and Spence playing on court one against Georgia Tech’s Paige Hourigan and Kenya Jones, the top ranked doubles team in country, then Ally Bojczuk and Allison Miller on court two and Rachel Chong and Bess Waldram at three. Court three was the first to end, as Chong and Waldram fell, 6-3. The point was clinched on court one despite a strong effort from Corse and Spence, who fell, 6-4. Bojczuk and Miller were trailing 5-2 at court two when play was suspended.
The sides split the first two singles matches. Court four was the first one to finish, as Chong fell to GT’s Nami Otsuka (6-3, 6-0), before Spence secured her victory over Johnnise Renaud in straight sets, 6-3, 6-4.
Tech built a 3-1 lead at court one, where Hourigan defeated Miller (6-1, 6-4), before the match was clinched on court two by Jones defeating Corse in three sets (0-6, 6-1, 6-2).
Bojczuk was defeated by Jarlskog (7-6(2), 6-0) at five singles before Dunleavy rallied on court six (3-6, 6-2, 6-4) to secure the final margin of 5-2.
- Notre Dame was playing its fourth straight road match and fifth straight contest against a ranked team.
- Spence improved to 11-5 in singles action during the dual season, 17-9 overall and 5-3 on court three.
- Dunleavy is 2-1 on court six.
#3 Georgia Tech 5, Notre Dame 2
Mar 30, 2018 at Atlanta, Ga. (Ken Byers Tennis Complex)
1. #22 Paige Hourigan (GT) def. Allison Miller (ND) 6-1, 6-4
2. Kenya Jones (GT) def. Cameron Corse (ND) 0-6, 6-1, 6-2
3. Zoe Spence (ND) def. Johnnise Renaud (GT) 6-3, 6-4
4. Nami Otsuka (GT) def. Rachel Chong (ND) 6-3, 6-0
5. #115 Ida Jarlskog (GT) def. Ally Bojczuk (ND) 7-6 (7-2), 6-0
6. Caroline Dunleavy (ND) def. Victoria Flores (GT) 3-6, 6-2, 6-4
1. #1 Paige Hourigan/Kenya Jones (GT) def. Cameron Corse/Zoe Spence (ND) 6-4
2. Ida Jarlskog/Victoria Flores (GT) vs. Ally Bojczuk/Allison Miller (ND) 5-2, unfinished
3. Johnnise Renaud/Nami Otsuka (GT) def. Rachel Chong/Bess Waldram (ND) 6-3
Order Of Finish
Doubles (3,1); Singles (4,3,1,2,5,6)
The Irish cap their four-match road swing on Sunday, April 1, at Clemson. The match to be played in Anderson, South Carolina, begins at Noon ET.
— ND —
Michael Scholl has been a member of the Fighting Irish Media communications staff at his alma mater since August 2016. He serves as the secondary contact for the Irish football and hockey teams while coordinating communications efforts for the women’s tennis program. Scholl has previously worked in communications at the National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum, Providence College, Vanderbilt University and the University of Cincinnati. The South Bend, Indiana, native earned a degree in political science from the College of Arts and Letters in 2009.