April 1, 2018
By Michael Scholl
ANDERSON, South Carolina – The University of Notre Dame tennis team capped a four-match road swing with a 5-2 setback at Clemson on Easter Sunday.
How It Happened
The Tigers quickly put the pressure on as the 34th-ranked duo of Marie Leduc and Fernanda Navarro defeated Cameron Corse and Zoe Spence on court one, 6-2. Clemson then captured the doubles point thanks to a 6-4 win by Sydney Riley and Tate Schroeder over Notre Dame’s Ally Bojczuk and Allison Miller at court two. The Irish had the pressure on, as Rachel Chong and Bess Waldram had a 5-3 lead on court three when doubles action ended.
Ally Bojczuk evened the match with a straight-set victory (6-0, 6-2) at five singles before Clemson’s Fernanda Navarro put the Tigers back up, 2-1, with a 6-4, 6-1 win at two singles over Cameron Corse. The hosts got within one point of the victory with a straight-set win at one singles by Marie Leduc over Allison Miller, 7-5, 6-3.
The clincher came at court four, where after a hard-fought 7-6 first set, Rachel Chong dropped the second, 6-1, making it 4-1. The final two matches both went three sets. Zoe Spence gave the Irish a second point at court three, rallying after dropping the first set (5-7, 6-2, 7-6). Clemson made the final margin 5-2 with a win at court six as Daniela Ruiz defeated Caroline Dunleavy, 3-6, 6-4, 7-6.
- Bojczuk improved to 17-5 in singles action during the 2017-18 campaign and 10-4 during the dual season.
- Spence won her second consecutive singles match and is 12-5 on the dual season.
- Notre Dame still leads the all-time series with Clemson, 9-7.
Clemson 5, Notre Dame 2
Apr 01, 2018 at Anderson, S.C. (AU Tennis Facility)
1. #21 Marie Leduc (CU) def. Allison Miller (ND) 7-5, 6-3
2. Fernanda Navarro (CU) def. Cameron Corse (ND) 6-4, 6-1
3. Zoe Spence (ND) def. Tate Schroeder (CU) 5-7, 6-2, 7-6 (7-3)
4. Sydney Riley (CU) def. Rachel Chong (ND) 7-6 (7-5), 6-1
5. Ally Bojczuk (ND) def. Laura Marti (CU) 6-0, 6-2
6. Daniela Ruiz (CU) def. Caroline Dunleavy (ND) 3-6, 6-4, 7-6 (7-5)
1. #34 Marie Leduc/Fernanda Navarro (CU) def. Cameron Corse/Zoe Spence (ND) 6-2
2. Sydney Riley/Tate Schroeder (CU) def. Ally Bojczuk/Allison Miller (ND) 6-4
3. Laura Marti/Daniela Ruiz (CU) vs. Rachel Chong/Bess Waldram (ND) 3-5, unfinished
Order Of Finish
Doubles (1,2); Singles (5,2,1,4,3,6)
The Irish return home on Friday, April 6, when North Carolina visits for a 3:30 p.m. contest. Notre Dame then plays host to NC State on Sunday, April 8, at Noon ET. The matches are tentatively scheduled for the Courtney Tennis Center, weather pending. Stay tuned to UND.com and follow @NDWomensTennis on Twitter for location updates.
— ND —
Michael Scholl has been a member of the Fighting Irish Media communications staff at his alma mater since August 2016. He serves as the secondary contact for the Irish football and hockey teams while coordinating communications efforts for the women’s tennis program. Scholl has previously worked in communications at the National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum, Providence College, Vanderbilt University and the University of Cincinnati. The South Bend, Indiana, native earned a degree in political science from the College of Arts and Letters in 2009.