Sept. 8, 1999
NOTRE DAME, Ind. — Twelve different Notre Dame football trading cards are being distributed beginning this week in specially-marked Coca-Cola Classic 12-packs at five area Meijer locations.
The 12 cards represent great moments in Notre Dame football history and are part of the “A Century of Greatness” program during the 1999 football season.
One of the 12 cards is enclosed in each 12-pack. Here are the 12 different moments represented:
- 1928: ONE FOR THE GIPPER — Knute Rockne motivates Irish with speech about George Gipp as Notre Dame defeats Army 12-6
- 1935: GAME OF THE CENTURY — Notre Dame rallies to defeat top-ranked Ohio State 18-13
- 1946: LUJACK SAVES THE DAY — John Lujack’s late, saving tackle on a Doc Blanchard run helps preserve 0-0 tie with #1 Army
- 1957: IRISH TOP SOONERS — Notre Dame defeats Oklahoma 7-0 on Dick Lynch’s TD run to end Sooners’ 47-game win streak
- 1973: IRISH ROLL TIDE TO ’73 TITLE — Bob Thomas’ 19-yard field goal enables Notre Dame to knock off #1 Alabama in Sugar Bowl
- 1977: IRISH GO GREEN, BEAT USC — Notre Dame dons green jerseys and knocks off #5 USC to springboard to the national championship
- 1980: OLIVER HITS FROM 51 — Harry Oliver kicks a 51-yard field goal as time runs out in 29-27 win over #14 Michigan
- 1988: TERRELL TIPS ‘CANES — Notre Dame knocks away a late two-point conversion attempt to preserve a 31-30 win over #1 Miami
- 1989: 1988 NATIONAL TITLE TO IRISH — Notre Dame caps 11th consensus national title with 34-21 win over West Virginia in Fiesta Bowl
- 1989: ROCKET RETURNS 2 — Raghib Ismail returns two kickoffs for TDs as #1 Irish defeat #2 Michigan 20-12
- 1993: IRISH BEAT TOP-RANKED SEMINOLES — #2 Notre Dame prevails 31-24 over #1 Florida State
The cards are available at five area Meijer locations — one each in South Bend (3600 North Portage), Goshen (4522 Elkhart Road) and Michigan City (5150 U.S. 421) and two in Mishawaka (5020 Grape Road and 3610 South Bremen Highway).
Voting has concluded in the “A Century of Greatness” program that will feature the top 20 moments in Notre Dame football history to be announced the week of the final Irish home game Nov. 20 vs. Boston College. A special insert in the game program that week will feature essays and photos on each of the top 20 moments.