The Notre Dame softball team, winners of 13-of-16, plays host to Western Michigan in nonconference action on Wednesday night at Melissa Cook Stadium. First pitch is set for 5:30 p.m. and early arriving fans receive $1 hot dogs. Those unable to make the game can watch live on ACC Network Extra.
|Western Michigan | Melissa Cook Stadium|
|Wednesday, March 27||Notre Dame vs. Western Michigan||5:30 p.m.||Live Stats||Watch|
2019 Notes & Numbers
- The Irish have played 12 games this season against teams ranked in the top 25 or receiving votes, with seven games against top-10 opponents.
- Based on opponent winning percentage, Notre Dame has played the ninth-toughest schedule in the nation. The Irish opponents thus far have combined for a .638 winning percentage. LSU leads the nation in opponent winning percentage at .666.
- Notre Dame has won nine consecutive non-conference games. The Irish won two games at the Red Desert Classic before sweeping five contests at the FAU/FIU Parents’ Weekend Tournament and capturing a game at FIU prior to opening ACC play at Florida State. The Western Michigan game is Notre Dame’s first non-conference contest since March 13 at FIU.
- Ali Wester’s 252 career hits rank third in the nation among active players, trailing only Oklahoma’s Sydney Romero (275) and Florida’s Amanda Lorenz (261).
- Ali Wester has struck out once every 24.8 at-bats this season, making her the second-toughest hitter in the ACC to strikeout. Donna Friedman of Virginia leads the league at 26.3 at-bats per strikeout.
- Cait Brooks ranks 11th in the nation and second in the ACC with 12 home runs this season. Brooks drilled a pair of homers in the Louisville series this past weekend. NC State’s Brigette Nordberg leads the conference with 13 round trippers.
- Cait Brooks ranks among the nation’s leaders in slugging percentage, as well, with a mark of .922. She ranks 13th in the nation and second in the ACC in the category.
- Cait Brooks earned ACC Co-Player of the Week honors on March 19 after hitting four homers with six RBI to go along with her .429 average on the week. Her two-run shot in the fourth inning helped power the Irish to a 7-4 win in game two of the series at No. 3 Florida State.
- During its nine-game spring break trip, Notre Dame had five players hit at least .360 during the stretch. Abby Sweet paced the group with a .500 average, while Cait Brooks hit .423 and Ali Wester posted a .419 average. Katie Marino (.370) and MK Bonamy (.360) rounded out the group.
- The Irish collected two weekly ACC honors on March 5 as Katie Marino was named Co-Player of the Week and Payton Tidd earned Co-Pitcher of the Week. Notre Dame went 2-0 at the Red Desert Classic with wins over Utah Valley (16-0) and No. 24 Baylor (14-1).