The University of Notre Dame Softball team embarks on a nine-game swing through Florida with this weekend’s FAU/FIU Parents’ Weekend Tournament. The Fighting Irish (9-7, 0-0 ACC) are set to take on Illinois State and North Dakota State on Saturday, March 9, before facing East Carolina and Florida A&M on Sunday, March 10, and the host Florida Atlantic Owls on Tuesday, March 12.
After the weekend tournament, the Irish play a non-conference game at FIU on Wednesday, march 13, before opening Atlantic Coast Conference play at top-ranked Florida State March 15-17. Head coach Deanna Gumpf’s team enters its spring break trip having won three straight games and six of the last seven contests after opening the season in a pair of tournaments that saw the Irish face four top-10 teams.
In a rain-shortened Red Desert Classic last weekend in St. George, UT, Notre Dame defeated Utah Valley (16-0) and No. 24 Baylor (14-1). Payton Tidd earned ACC Co-Pitcher of the Week honors after twirling a complete game against the Bears with seven strikeouts in five innings. Katie Marino was named ACC Co-Player of the Week thanks to a 6-for-8 weekend at the plate with a double, two homers and five RBI.
|FAU/FIU Parents’ Weekend Tournament | FAU Softball Complex | Boca Raton, FL|
|Saturday, March 9||Notre Dame vs. Illinois State||11:15 a.m.||Live Stats|
|Notre Dame vs. North Dakota State||1:30 p.m.||Live Stats|
|Sunday, March 10||Notre Dame vs. East Carolina||11:15 a.m.||Live Stats|
|Notre Dame vs. Florida A&M||1:30 p.m.||Live Stats|
|Tuesday, March 12||Notre Dame at FAU||6 p.m.||Live Stats||Watch|
2019 Notes & Numbers
- 2 The Irish collected two weekly ACC honors on March 5 as Katie Marino was named Co-Player of the Week and Payton Tidd earned Co-Pitcher of the Week. Notre Dame went 2-0 at the Red Desert Classic with wins over Utah Valley (16-0) and No. 24 Baylor (14-1).
- 5 Marino knocked-in five runs in the two games in St. George, Utah, while going 6-for-8 with a double and two home runs.
- 7 Tidd earned a complete game win over Baylor, striking out seven in five innings. Tidd allowed the first three hitters to reach before limiting the Bears to four hits and a walk the rest of the way.
- 9 The Irish have played nine games this season against teams ranked in the top 25 or receiving votes, with a four games against top-10 opponents
- 28 Notre Dame will play 28 before its home opener on March 20. The Irish will have played 16 of those first 28 games in the state of Florida.
- 3 Tidd’s 1.47 walks per seven innings rate ranks third in the ACC, while her strikeout-walk ratio (3.55) ranks fourth.
- 2 Morgan Ryan’s 1.56 walks per seven innings rate is second in the ACC.
- 235 Ali Wester’s 235 career hits rank fourth in the nation among active players, trailing only Florida’s Amanda Lorenz, Oklahoma’s Sydney Romero (254 each) and UIC’s Lexi Watts (236). In addition, Wester’s 184 career games played ranks among the top 40 in the nation.
- 3 Notre Dame is third in the ACC with 1.50 stolen bases per game.