NOTRE DAME, Ind. – On an evening that saw both reigning ACC Player of the Week John Mooney and sophomore Robby Carmody inactive, the Irish defeated Presbyterian 63-53 in Purcell Pavilion to improve to 4-1 on the season.
Notre Dame featured a balanced attack with four players finishing in double figures in the points column. Rex Pflueger led the Irish in scoring with 13 points while Juwan Durham (11), Nate Laszewski (11) and T.J. Gibbs (10) each contributed 10 or more-point efforts.
HOW IT HAPPENED
After holding a 32-31 advantage, Notre Dame went on a 7-0 run with 1:45 left in the first half, culminating in a deep three from T.J. Gibbs before the halftime buzzer, to increase its lead to 39-31at the half. Notre Dame relied on its three-point shooting in the period, knocking down eight shots to account for 24 of its 39 points.
Notre Dame kept its lead intact before going on a 7-0 run, finished off by Gibbs’ jumper, to grow the lead to 62-50 with 1:15 to go in the contest. The Blue Hose narrowed the margin somewhat before the game was over, but the Fighting Irish still cruised the rest of the way for the 63-53 win.
PLAYER OF THE GAME
Pflueger did it all for the Irish on Monday evening, leading the team in points (13), assists (6) and steals (2). The guard shot 3-for-6 from beyond the arc to do most of his damage on the offensive end.
STAT OF THE GAME
Durham recorded the second double-double of his career and first of the season on Monday, scoring 11 points while pulling down a career-high 15 rebounds.
- Notre Dame is now 1-0 against Presbyterian in program history, winning the first ever meeting on Monday.
- The Irish are now 4-0 at home during the 2019-20 season.
- Notre Dame lit it up from beyond the arc, knocking down 10 treys in the game.
- Notre Dame never trailed on the way to a 63-53 victory.
- The Fighting Irish shared the ball well, recording an assist on 71% of made baskets (15 assists on 21 makes).
- Pflueger finished in double figures for the second time this season and 21st time in his career with 13 points.
- Laszewski recorded his first game of the season with 10 or more points on Monday, scoring 11 points.
- Durham swatted a season-high four blocks in the victory.
- Goodwin recorded double-digit points for the third time this season and 11th time in his career.
- Gibbs scored 10 or more points for the fourth time this season and 60th time in his career.
The Fighting Irish are back in action at 8:30 p.m. ET on Thursday, Nov. 21, when they will host Toledo at Purcell Pavilion. The game will air live on ACCN and will also be available to stream via the WatchESPN app (subscription required).