Second Medical Opinion Policy
The University of Notre Dame Sports Medicine Department recognizes the value of second opinions for injured or ill student-athletes. The University will pay for this second opinion, only if the following conditions are met:
- Prior approval should be obtained from one of the directors of Sports Medicine (Dr. Moriarity or Dr. Yergler) or from the Head Athletic Trainer/Physical Therapist, Jim Russ. Requests must include the physician’s name, specialty, location, and other pertinent information as needed.
- Specific diagnostic testing over and above routine laboratory tests or office X-rays should be approved by the Sports Medicine staff before such testing takes place.
- The student-athlete is requested to forward all results of a second-opinion evaluation, including physician exam, laboratory tests, and radiological procedures, to the athletic training staff or team physicians.
- Results of a second-opinion examination will be reviewed by the Sports Medicine staff along with recommendations for further treatment and care. Final decisions regarding suitability to return to competition and practice will be the responsibility of the Sports Medicine staff.
- Requests for payment for surgeries performed by physicians not on the Sports Medicine staff will be reviewed on an individual basis. In general if surgery is not referred out by Notre Dame Sports Medicine, the financial burden will be the athlete and their parent’s sole responsibility.
- In cases where there is a discrepancy of opinion between the Sports Medicine staff and a consulting physician, a third opinion may be requested. In such a case, the third consultant will be chosen by the Sports Medicine staff (in agreement with the athlete) at University expense from a group of prominent, nationally recognized sports medicine experts. The results of this evaluation, along with recommendations for care and treatment, will be reviewed by the Notre Dame Sports Medicine staff. Decisions regarding return to competition and practice remain solely with the Sports Medicine staff.