AS A JUNIOR (2017-18):
• Narrowly missed out on Honorable Mention All-America recognition after posting a 100 freestyle split of :43.40 for the Notre Dame 400 freestyle relay team that finished in 17th place at the NCAA Championships.
• Took part in four events at the ACC Championships, highlighted by a fifth-place finish in the 400 freestyle relay and ninth place in the 100 freestyle with a time of :43.12.
• Claimed the top spot in the 50 freestyle with a time of :20.53 against Ball State and Green Bay.
• Winner in the 100 freestyle with a time of :44.07 and swam a leg of :43.70 in the 400 freestyle relay in a victorious performance at the Shamrock Invitational.
• Took the win in the 100 freestyle after touching the wall in :44.62 to aid a dual meet win over No. 20 Florida State.
• Runner-up in both the 100 freestyle (:44.67) and the 200 freestyle (1:39.84) in a dual win against Iowa.
• Notched a split of :44.11 in the 400 freestyle as Notre Dame placed third at the Ohio State Fall Open Invitational.
• Secured second place in the 100 freestyle with a time :44.76 against No. 1 Indiana and Cincinnati in a tri dual.
• Individual winner in the 100 freestyle with a time of :44.69, threw down a 100 split of :44.66 in the 400 freestyle relay and added a runner-up swim of 1:39.74 in the 200 freestyle during a dual victory against No. 23 Purdue.
• Led the field in the 100 freestyle with a time of :44.35, placed first with the 400 freestyle relay thanks to a :44.44 split and was second with a 50 freestyle sprint of :20.62 against Georgia Tech.
• Swam a relay leg in :44.68 to help guide Notre Dame to victory in the 400 freestyle relay against No. 15 Texas A&M.
• Brought home the event win in the 200 freestyle with a time of 1:38.78, and added a runner-up finish in the 100 freestyle with a time of :44.49 in a dual upset of No. 7 Louisville.
AS A SOPHOMORE (2016-17):
• Honorable Mention All-America selection with the 400 freestyle relay (2:51.42) that finished in 14th place at the NCAA Championships.
• Runner-up in the 100 freestyle with a time of :42.86 at the ACC Championships.
• Placed second in the 200 freestyle with a time of 1:37.05 to power Notre Dame in the Shamrock Invitational.
• Paced the field in the 50 freestyle with a time of :20.57 to take the win in a dual meet with IUPUI.
• Runner-up in the 100 freestyle (:44.50) for Notre Dame in an ACC matchup with Louisville.
• Doubled as the individual winner in the 100 freestyle (:44.56), then added a relay split of :44.88 for the victorious 400 freestyle relay in a dual with Northwestern.
• Winner in the 100 freestyle with a time of :44.77, and added a relay 100 free split of :44.90 against Iowa.
• Finished second in the 100 freestyle with a time of :43.04 at the NC State/GAC Invitational.
• Claimed first place in the 100 freestyle (:44.30) and as a member of the 400 freestyle relay (split of :44.86) in a tri-dual with Pittsburgh and Virginia Tech.
• Top finisher in the 100 freestyle (:44.24) and added a third-place result in the 200 freestyle (1:40.88) against Purdue.
• Posted a split of :44.49 to help guide the 400 freestyle relay to victory against ACC foe Georgia Tech.
AS A FRESHMAN (2015-16):
• Had a strong first season at Notre Dame, swimming at both the ACC Championship and the NCAA Championship meets.
• At ACC Championship, helped 800 freestyle relay team (1:36.50 split) and 200 freestyle relay (:19.80 split) to fifth place, and swam second leg of 400 freestyle relay that finished second and broke the school record, touching the wall with a :43.09 split-time.
• Individually, finished 22nd in the 50 freestyle (:20.20 finals, :20.12 prelims) and tied for 14th in the 100 freestyle (:43.60 finals, :43.84 prelims).
• At NCAA Championship, swam on 200 freestyle relay (:19.69 split, 18th place), 400 freestyle relay (:43.14 split, 20th) and 800 freestyle relay (1:36.26 split, 21st).
• Began the year swimming with the 200 freestyle relay (:20.52 split) and 400 freestyle relay (:45.21 leadoff split) at the Dennis Stark Relays, winning both events.
• Versus Michigan State, earned three first-place finishes in the 400 medley relay (:44.35 split), 100 freestyle (:45.38) and 200 freestyle relay (:19.08 split).
• At Virginia Tech, against the Hokies and the Pittsburgh Panthers, swam with four relays and in three individual events.
• Won the 400 freestyle relay with a :45.02 leadoff split, and earned second with the 400 medley relay (:45.09 split) and 200 freestyle relay (:20.78 split), taking third in the 800 freestyle relay (1:42.50).
• Individually, swam to second place in the 100 freestyle (:45.36) and finished sixth in the 50 freestyle (:21.26) and eighth in the 200 freestyle (1:43.17).
• At Purdue Invitational, won the 100 freestyle (:44.10 final, :45.04 prelims) and took first with the 400 freestyle relay team, swimming :44.37 leadoff split.
• Also finished second with the 200 freestyle relay (:20.12 split) and 400 medley relay (:43.67 split).
• Placed third in 800 freestyle relay (1:39.43 split).
• Touched the wall ninth in the 50 freestyle (:20.43 finals, :21.09 prelims) and fifth in the 200 freestyle (1:39.34 finals, 1:40.92 prelims) after helping 200 medley relay to 12th (:20.25 split).
• Against Virginia notably won three relay races (200 freestyle, :20.30 split; 400 medley, :44.00 split; 400 freestyle, :43.74 split) and finished in third with 200 medley relay (:19.89 split).
• Individually won the 100 freestyle (:44.69) and 50 freestyle (:20.68) and clocked in at 1:41.30 in the 200 freestyle, good for fourth place.
• For his efforts, was named the CollegeSwimming.com ACC Men’s Swimmer of the Week.
• Finished regular season with a strong showing at the Shamrock Invitational meet.
• Highest finish came with 200 freestyle and 400 freestyle relays both touching the wall second (:20.28 split in the 200, :45.09 leadoff split in the 400).
• Placed third with the 400 medley relay (:44.25 split) and 800 freestyle relay (1:40.88 split), while individually placed third in 100 freestyle (:44.49), fifth in the 200 freestyle (1:41.04) and ninth in the 50 freestyle (:20.92).
PREP AND PERSONAL:
• Highest-ranked recruit to sign with the Irish.
• Qualified as a Junior National Finalist in 100 and 200 freestyle, placing in top 10 and top five during various years in individual events.
• Holds the Michigan state record in the 15-16 age group in 50, 100 and 200 free (LCM).?
• Voted team MVP freshman through junior seasons.
• Earned all-state and all-American accolades during sophomore season in 50 and 100 freestyle.
• Selected to participate in National Diversity Camp at Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs, Colorado.
• During freshman campaign, prep team finished 24th at Div. 1 state finals.
• Individually qualified for state meet and set school records in 50 and 100 free.
• During sophomore season, team improved to seventh at state finals.
• During junior season team improved significantly, winning conference championships and finishing third at Div. 1 state championships.
• Individually, earned all-conference accolades and was named to all-state and All-America honor rolls in 100 and 200 freestyle.
• His :20.27 50 freestyle time and :43.90 100 freestyle mark stand as Michigan State records.
• Graduated in June 2015 from West Ottawa High School.
• Attended same high school as former Notre Dame women’s diver Natalie Stitt.
• Oldest child of Taiyoh and Robyn Afrik, both of whom ran track (father also played soccer) at Valparaiso.
• Got his start in swimming due to familial fear of drowning; father decided to break the cycle and enrolled him and his siblings in swimming classes, where a local coach noticed his talent and encouraged family to pursue a swimming career.
• Enrolled in the Mendoza College of Business.