#6 Shelby Grimm
AS A SOPHOMORE (2020)
- Started at catcher for the Irish for all five games of the NFCA Leadoff Classic, thwarting two stolen-base attempts and posting six total assists with no errors.
PREP AND PERSONAL:
• Multi-year letterwinner at Chesterton High School.
• Logged a .468 batting average with five home runs, 28 RBI and 26 stolen bases as a senior catcher, finishing as Chesterton’s career leader in walks drawn, runs scored, batting average and stolen bases.
• Named an NFCA High School First-Team All-American, as well as to the all-state first team, all-area first team and All-Duneland Athletic Conference as Chesterton’s Most Valuable Player, as the squad won 25 games and a sectional championship.
• Batted .414 with 25 RBI, 19 stolen bases, a .713 on-base percentage and 32 runs scored as a junior catcher.
• Named to the NFCA North All-Region First Team, all-state first team, all-area first team and All-Duneland Athletic Conference, adding team MVP honors after junior campaign.
• Hit at a .449 clip with 17 stolen bases and 31 runs scored as a sophomore shortstop.
• Earned all-state second-team recognition at the end of sophomore season, along with all-area and all-conference accolades. Tabbed as team MVP.
• Batted .390 with 29 runs scored as an all-area centerfielder as a freshman.
• Competed with the Beverly Bandits on the club circuit, and was the battery mate of current Notre Dame teammate Alexis Holloway.
• Named a 2018 PGF Regional All-American, representing the Central region.
• Bandits won the 2017 PGF 18U National Championship and 2016 PGF Shootout, and placed in the top 10 at the 2016 PGF 18U Nationals and top 15 at the 2018 PGF 18U Nationals.
• Member of the National Honor Society, and was an Honor Roll and Principal’s Honor Roll selection.
• Graduated in the top two percent of Chesterton High School’s 2018 senior class.
• Daughter of Jeff and Tracy Grimm and has one sister, Cassidy.
• Father, Jeff, played baseball at Valparaiso.
• The 18th Indiana resident to suit up for Notre Dame in program history, and the first from Valparaiso.
• Enrolled in the First Year of Studies.