2020-21 Football Roster
#4 Nick McCloud
Height 6-0 1/2
Class Graduate Student
Hometown Rock Hill, SC
High School South Pointe/NC State
HONORS & AWARDS
- All-ACC Third Team
- Associated Press Second Team All-ACC
- Phil Steele Third Team All-ACC
- Pro Football Focus Team of the Week at Pitt (10/24)
- Phil Steele Preseason All-Independent Second Team
GRADUATE SEASON (2020)
- In his first start for the Irish, McCloud posted five tackles (four solo), the third-highest mark on the team, as well as a pass breakup in the season-opening win vs. Duke (9/12).
- Started in the 52-0 win vs. South Florida (9/19).
- Made two tackles, adding two pass breakups, in the win vs. Florida State (10/10).
- Started and posted two solo tackles and 1.0 TFL (-2 yards) in the 12-7 win over Louisville (10/17).
- Started and posted four tackles (three solo), one pass breakup and one INT in the 45-3 win at Pitt (10/24). McCloud snagged his first interception in an Irish uniform against Pitt, marking the fourth of his career (three while playing at NC State). His four tackles tied for second on a defense that held Pitt to just a field goal. According to Pro Football Focus, McCloud’s receivers were targeted six times, making just three catches. He earned an 80.1 PFF tackle grade and a 76.2 coverage grade, resulting in a 75.6 overall defensive grade. McCloud’s interception came on the first play of a Pitt third-quarter drive to give the Irish possession at the Panthers’ 35-yard line, and the resulting series culminated in a Notre Dame rushing TD.
- Started and tallied four tackles and a pass breakup in the 31-13 win at Georgia Tech (10/31).
- Started and totaled three tackles, 1.0 TFL (-1 yards) and two fumble recoveries in the 47-40 2OT win over then-No. 1 Clemson (11/7); His two fumble recoveries marked the first time an Irish player has recovered two fumbles in a single game since Julian Love vs. Vanderbilt (2018). McCloud’s first fumble recovery came on a Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah FF, and set up an Irish field goal. The second fumble recovery came on the final play of double overtime, as McCloud gained control of the ball on Clemson’s last-chance play to seal the Irish win.
- Started and recorded two tackles and two pass breakups in the 45-31 win at Boston College (11/14).
- Started and posted one tackle and a pass breakup in the 31-17 win at No. 19 North Carolina (11/27).
- Started and tallied two tackles in the 41-25 regular season finale win over Syracuse (12/5).
- Started and posted four tackles and a pass breakup in the ACC Championship game (12/19).
- Started and totaled four solo tackles in the CFP Semifinal at the Rose Bowl Game (1/1/21).
At NC State
AS A JUNIOR (2018)
- Started 11 games right corner, he ranked ninth in the ACC in passes defended last season.
- Had two interceptions in his 11 games played, along with eight PBUs.
- Also had a 12-yard fumble recovery in the win at Marshall.
- Ranked fourth on the team in tackles.
- Missed the Syracuse and FSU games with an injury.
- Tallied a career-high 10 tackles at Clemson to lead the team.
AS A SOPHOMORE (2017)
- Started the first six games of 2017 as returning senior starter Mike Stevens was injured. Also started the win over Arizona State in the Sun Bowl.
- The Pack posts a 7-1 record in games he has started in his career.
- Tied his career best with seven tackles in the bowl game, he also picked off his first career pass in that contest, returning it 53 yards.
AS A FRESHMAN (2016)
- One of just two true freshman to see action from scrimmage on defense.
- Started the Independence Bowl win over Vanderbilt.
- Chosen to participate in Freshman Honors Convocation.
IN HIGH SCHOOL
- Played defensive back and wide receiver at South Pointe High School. Helped lead his team to a 14-1 record and the South Carolina Class AAA championship as a senior. Team won the title game, 35-0 – its second straight state title
- Junior Stats: Caught 33 passes for 349 yards and 2 TDs.
- Honors: Named to the 2015 all-state team by USA Today and SCHSL. Played in the North/South All-Star game.
- Rankings: No. 7 player in the state of South Carolina by rivals.com. No. 117 cornerback nationally, No. 7 in South Carolina, by scout.com.