2020-21 Women's Basketball Roster
#30 Mikayla Vaughn
Hometown Philadelphia, PA
High School Paul VI/Friends' Central
ATHLETIC STATUS – JUNIOR
- Points: 21 (vs Syracuse, 2/23/20)
- Rebounds: 11, 4x (last vs Pitt, 3/4/20)
- Field Goals Made: 10 (at Georgia Tech, 2/2/20)
- Field Goals Attempted: 19 (at Pitt, 1/2/20)
- Free Throws Made: 7 (vs Syracuse, 2/23/20)
- Free Throws Attempted: 10 (vs Syracuse, 2/23/20)
- Assists: 5 (vs Louisville, 1/30/20)
- Blocks: 4, 2x (last vs Wake Forest, 1/13/19)
- Steals: 4 (vs Clemson, 12/29/19)
- Minutes: 34 (vs Boston College, 1/9/20)
- Double-figure scoring: 12
- Double-figure rebounds: 6
- Double-doubles: 2
- 20+ point games: 2
JUNIOR SEASON (2019-20)
- Started in all 20 games in which she played. Averaged 26.6 minutes.
- Averaged 10.6 ppg and 7.0 rpg.
- As the lone Irish player with significant on-court experience from last season, Vaughn took on a major leadership role with the team, and was also our most improved: Vaughn went from averaging 3.3 points and 2.4 rebounds to 10.7 points and 6.8 rebounds. She shot 52.5 percent last year and jumped that to 58.4 percent aka the 2nd best shooting percentage in the ACC.
- Made her first career start for the Irish in the season opener at Fordham. Vaughn was closing in on a double-double with eight points and nine boards in 20 minutes of action before being sidelined with a right knee injury.
- Missed 11 games due to an ACL sprain in her right knee – opposite knee of what she tore in her freshman season. Returned from injury against Clemson on Dec. 29.
- Posted nine double-digit scoring games after her return – seven of which have been on the road. Vaughn has recorded at least 16 points in seven of the nine as well, which included two double-doubles.
- Netted two 20-point performances in the month of February.
- Scored double-digit points by the half on five separate occasions this season.
- Ended the year with her best defensive stretch of the season – recording four straight games with three blocks.
- Averaged 1.6 blocks/game in ACC play – ranked 6th. Averaged 2.8 offensive rebounds/game – ranked 6th.
- Ended the year with an 11-rebound performance vs Pitt on March 4 – marked her fifth double-digit rebounding effort.
- Recorded a career high 21 points on 7-of-9 shooting in the 72-70 win over Syracuse (2/23). In the final two minutes, Vaughn took a charge to force a turnover then hit the game-winning free throws.
- Carried the Irish to victory at Georgia Tech on Feb. 2, scoring a career high 20 points on 10-of-15 shooting from the field.
- Iced the 75-71 win at Wake Forest on Feb. 6 with a free-throw in the final 10 seconds of the game.
- Garnered back-to-back games with double-digit rebounds for the first time of her career. Vaughn reeled in 10 rebounds each vs. Pitt (2/9) and at Boston College (2/13).
- Recorded her first career double-double at Syracuse (1/5) with 16 points and a career-high tying 11 boards.
- Poured in 18 points at Duke (1/16), recording her second double-double with a career-high tying 11 boards.
- Went 7-of-8 from the field for 16 points in the win over Miami (1/19).
- Dished out a career best five assists vs No. 5 Louisville. It marked her first 5+5+5 Stat Stuffer game, earning eight points and five boards as well.
SOPHOMORE SEASON (2018-19)
- Played 38-of-39 games, averaging 9.6 minutes. Scored in 25-of-38 appearances.
- Tallied a bucket in four minutes of play in the national championship game vs Baylor (4/7).
- Arguably one of her best games of the year in the First Round vs Bethune-Cookman (3/23), tallying 9 points and a career high 11 boards. It marked the first double-digit rebounding effort of her career.
- Another important game off the bench in the Second Round vs Michigan State (3/25), earning 4 points and 4 rebounds.
- Went a perfect 4-for-4 from the field at Syracuse (2/25), tallying 8 points to go with 3 boards.
- Tied her career high of 4 blocks vs Wake Forest (1/13) to go with her 9 points.
- Effective off the bench vs No. 2 Louisville (1/10), grabbing a career high 8 rebounds to go with her 5 points.
- Didn’t enter the Georgia Tech (1/6) game until the 2nd half and still put up eight points on 4-of-7 shooting.
- Nearly netted a double-double against Binghamton tallying 10 points and eight rebounds – six points and four boards were totaled in the final quarter.
- Led team in blocks (4) in season opener vs Harvard. 1-of-4 Irish in double figures. Earned career bests in points (12), made FG’s (6) and blocks (4)
FRESHMAN SEASON (2017-18)
- Played in six games, averaging 13.2 minutes off the bench.
- Tore ACL in left leg in practice on Nov. 28 and redshirted the 2017-18 season.
- Tallied eight points for the second straight game vs ETSU on Nov. 24, setting a new high in steals (2). Scored six of her points in the fourth quarter.
- Her .622 field goal percentage ranked 4th in the ACC at the time.
- Despite coming off the bench, Vaughn still ranked first on the team in blocks (1.2), third in offensive rebounds (2.3) and fifth in rebounds (4.3).
- Scored 15 of her 17 total points in the second half at WKU on Nov. 14, helping the Irish to a 78-65 win. Vaughn went 8-for-9 from the field and collected seven rebounds.
- Made her debut vs Mount St. Mary’s on Nov. 11, recording nine points on 4-of-9 shooting. Reeled in the second most rebounds with seven.
- Ranked No. 56 overall in the 2017 HoopGurlz espnW Top 100
- Transferred to Paul VI Catholic High in Fairfax, Virginia, from Friends’ Central School in Philadelphia, for her senior season where she was named co-captain
- Led Paul VI to a No. 1 high school national team ranking in the USA Today high school poll
- Achieved a 32-2 record in her senior season, earning the 2017 VISAA Girls State Championship
- Averaged 14.6 points per game as a senior
- Philadelphia Inquirer Southeastern Pennsylvania scoring leader in both her junior and sophomore seasons
- Averaged 15 points, 10 rebounds and two blocks per game as a junior at Friends’ Central School
- Led Friends’ Central to back-to-back league championships in her junior and sophomore seasons
- Averaged 18 points, 10 rebounds and three blocks per game as a sophomore
- Named Philadelphia All-City Classic Tournament MVP
- Also played lacrosse as a freshman, where she contributed to the team’s PAISSA championship
- Ended her high school career with 1,735 points and 1,055 rebounds
- Club Team: The Philadelphia Belles
- 2017 WCAC Player of the Year
- 2017 WCAC First Team
- 2017 Washington Post All-Met First Team
- 2017 VISAA Division I All-State Player of the Year
- 2017 VISAA Division I First Team All-State
- 2017 McDonald’s All-American Nominee
- 2017 American Family Insurance All-USA Virginia Girls Basketball Team
- 2017 She’s Got Game MVP
- 2016 Friends’s League leader in scoring and double-doubles
- 2016 First Team Class A All-State in Pennsylvania
- 2016 First Team Friends’ School League All-League Team
- 2016 Comcast Sports Fan Base Networks Varsity Girls MVP
- 2015 Third Team Class A All-State in Pennsylvania
- Three-time All-Mainline First Team honors
- Daughter of Terri and Martin Vaughn. Has two brothers and one sister
- Father was captain and quarterback of the football team at Penn
- Fluent in French, she won first place in the MCATFL French Oral Proficiency Contest in 2013
- Volunteers with local community programs