#16 Michael Shipp
HONORS AND AWARDS:
2017 NCAA Postgraduate Scholarship Recipient
2016 Notre Dame Tri-Captain
2016 Notre Dame Rockne Student-Athlete Award
2016 ACC All-Academic Team
2015 CoSIDA Division I Men’s Soccer Academic All-America First Team
2015 CoSIDA Division I Men’s Soccer Academic All-District 5 First Team
2015 Notre Dame Rockne Student-Athlete Award
2015 ACC All-Academic Team
2013 NCAA Elite 89 Award
2013 Notre Dame Rockne Student-Athlete Award
AS A GRADUATE STUDENT (2016):
• NCAA Postgraduate Scholarship recipient.
• ACC All-Academic Team and ACC Academic Honor Roll.
• Co-winner of the Rockne Student-Athlete Award.
• Started all 21 games at right back as a Notre Dame tri-captain.
• Logged one assist, and notched seven shot attempts.
• Regular starter that helped preside over back line that yielded an 0.82 goals against average and nine shutouts.
• Played the most minutes of any member of the 2016 Notre Dame squad for the second straight season, totaling 1,987 minutes.
• Assisted on the final goal during the opening game of the season against UC Irvine during the Mike Berticelli Memorial Tournament.
• Irish defense limited UConn to one shot on goal for the entire game in a win during the second overtime against the Huskies.
• Helped hold Pittsburgh to three total shots during a 2-0 shutout of the Panthers.
• Notre Dame back line kept No. 3 North Carolina to a single shot on goal on Senior Night in a scoreless draw to close the 2016 regular season.
• Grounded Loyola offense to one shot on goal in the second round of the NCAA Championship.
AS A SENIOR (2015):
• CoSIDA Division I Men’s Soccer Academic All-America First Team.
• Academic All-District 5 First-Team choice.
• Rockne Student-Athlete Award recipient.
• Named to the ACC All-Academic Team and the ACC Academic Honor Roll.
• Tabbed the ACC Defensive Player of the Week on Sept. 8.
• Appeared in and started all 22 matches at right back.
• Tallied two goals and added one assist from the Irish defensive corps.
• Played the most minutes of any member of the 2015 team with a total of 2,119 minutes.
• Contributed to eight Irish shutouts on the Notre Dame back line.
• Totaled seven shot attempts throughout the season, four of which were on goal.
• Scored the game-winning goal in the 20th minute of a 4-0 Irish shutout of UAB.
• Defensive effort prevented No. 9 Clemson from attempting a single shot on frame during a 1-0 shutout.
• Added a goal to a 4-2 home victory over Marquette.
• Recorded first career assist on the fourth Notre Dame goal in a 5-0 win over Pittsburgh, as the Irish limited the Panthers to only four shots (two shots on goal).
• Helped limit No. 17 Virginia to one shot on goal (four total shots) in a 1-0 shutout in the quarterfinal round of the ACC Championship.
AS A JUNIOR (2014):
• Played in four matches, making three starts on the Notre Dame back line.
• Made first appearance of the season against No. 19 Northwestern.
• Earned first start and played full 90 minutes against Virginia Tech.
• Saw a career-high 110 minutes of action in a draw against No. 12 Michigan State.
• Started regular season finale at Pittsburgh.
• Won first career monogram.
AS A SOPHOMORE (2013):
• Played in two games, including one start.
• Made his Fighting Irish debut when he started the season opener, a scoreless draw with UCLA at the adidas/IU Credit Union Classic.
• Played 59 minutes versus the Bruins.
• Played 17 minutes off the bench in a 2-1 overtime victory at Clemson.
• Received the NCAA Elite 89 Award, which is given to the student-athlete with the top GPA from a team that reached the national semifinals.
AS A FRESHMAN (2012):
• Did not appear in a match.
• A BIG EAST Academic All-Star.
HIGH SCHOOL AND PERSONAL DATA:
• Selected to the Illinois High School Soccer Coaches Association (IHSSCA) all-state team as a senior.
• 2011 National Soccer Coaches Association of America (NSCAA) Scholar All-American.
• 2011 NSCAA Senior Excellence Award recipient.
• Four-year varsity letter winner and three-year starter at Lake Forest High School.
• Captained his high school squad during his junior and senior seasons.
• Tallied 20 goals and 17 assists during his high school career.
• Notre Dame Elite Camp all-star (2011).
• Has captained his Chicago Fire Juniors club team for the past six seasons (2006-12).
• Two-time Illinois State Cup champion (2007 & 2011).
• Vice president of the National Honor Society.
• Cum Laude Society member.
• Older brother, Harrison, is a former Fighting Irish All-American and current member of the Seattle Sounders (MLS).
• Son of Terry and Kathleen Shipp.
• Graduated from Notre Dame’s College of Science with a degree in pre-professional studies (pre-med) and Spanish.
Shipp’s Career Statistics