2017-18 Men's Basketball Roster
#5 Matt Farrell
Weight 175 lbs.
Hometown Bridgewater, N.J.
High School Point Pleasant Beach
HONORS AND AWARDS
- 2018 All-ACC Third Team
- 2018 Notre Dame Monogram Club Team MVP (2018 Senior Class)
- 2018 Notre Dame Captain Award
- 2018 State Farm College Three-Point Contest Participant
- 2018 Portsmouth Invitational Participant
- 2017-18 Wooden Award Top 50 (Top CBB Player)
- 2017-18 Naismith Award Watch List (Top CBB Player)
- 2017-18 Bob Cousy Award Watch List (Top CBB PG)
- 2017 Maui Invitational Tournament Most Valuable Player
- 2017 Maui Invitational All-Tournament Team
- 2017 ACC All-Tournament First Team
- 2017 All-ACC Honorable Mention
- 2017 Notre Dame Playmaker of the Year
- 2016 Legends Classic Tournament Most Valuable Player
- 2016 Legends Classic All-Tournament Team
- 2016 ACC Academic Honor Roll
- NBCSports.com Midseason All-American (third team)
- Three-Point Field Goals Made, Game – 10 vs. Boston College, Feb. 17, 2018
- Three-Ponit Field Goals Made, ACC Game – 10 vs. Boston College, Feb. 17, 2018
- Consecutive Three-Point Field Goals Made, Game – 9 vs. Boston College, Feb. 17, 2018
- Three-Point Field Goals Made, ACC Season – 51, 2017-18
SENIOR SEASON (2017-18)
- Averaged 17.0 points and 6.67 assists per game in the ACC tournament, including his second career double-double against Duke in the quarterfinal, finishing with 11 points and a career-high 12 assists.
- Poured in 17 points with three assists, eight free throws and three three-point field goals in the second half to key Notre Dame’s 21-point comeback against Virginia Tech in the second round of the ACC tournament.
- Hit the game-winning 3FG with 5.8 seconds remaining at Wake Forest, releasing the deep attempt in front of the Irish bench as the shot clock expired. The game winner highlighted a 21-point, six-assist effort.
- Became the 62nd Notre Dame player to reach 1,000 points in a career against Wake Forest.
- Pulled down a career-best six rebounds with six assists and 16 points vs. Miami (FL).
- Posted a historical shooting day at Boston College, connecting on his first nine 3FGA, eventually finishing 10-12 from three-point range to match the school record for 3FGM in a game on the way to a career-high 37 points on 12-of-17 shooting overall.
- The 10 3FGM match Kyle McAlarney’s 10 (10-18) against North Carolina at the Maui Invitaitonal in 2008 as the Notre Dame record.
- The first Notre Dame player in school history to connect on his first nine 3FGA in a single game.
- Set the Conte Forum record for 3FGM by an opponent with 10.
- The 10 3FGM are also the high for an ACC player this season.
- Led the Irish to victory over Florida State with 28 points on 10-of-15 shooting with six 3FGM and five assists.
- Returned to familiar form against Boston College, hitting five 3FGs with 19 points and a team-high seven assists.
- Back in the starting lineup at NC State on Feb. 2, eventually shaking off the rust to finish with a team-high 16 points, four 3FGs and nine points in the second half.
- Suffered a set back in his return from a sprained ankle when an MRI revealed a bone bruise in the same ankle, sidelining him for the Virginia Tech and Duke games.
- Returned to the starting lineup against Louisville and played a career-high 48 minutes, scoring 23 points with eight assists.
- Sidelined for the games at Syracuse and Georgia Tech and at home against North Carolina while recovering from a sprained ankle, missing the first games of his career due to injury.
- Limited to 15 minutes due to a sprained ankle in the victory over NC State, ending his streak of scoring in double digits in all previous 14 Irish games in 2017-18.
- Scored 22 points with six assists in the victory over Dartmouth, connecting onf four 3FGs (fifth time Farrell has connected on four-or-more 3FGs in a game this season).
- Embraced team’s up-tempo attack at Delaware, scoring a game-high 24 points – 14 coming in the second half – and shooting 5-of-7 from 3FG range with seven assists as the Irish cruised to a 24-point victory.
- Dominated the point guard position during the 2017 Maui Jim Maui Invitational, earning tournament MVP honors – the second consecutive in-season tournament MVP award for Farrell (2016 Legends Classic).
- Played 39 minutes in the come-from-behind victory over No. 6/6 Wichita State, including the possible play-of-the-game with his third steal in the backcourt and assist to Bonzie Colson with just under a minute remaining – cutting Wichita State’s lead to one point.
- Posted a career-best 27 points in the Maui Invitational opener against Chaminade, shooting 9-of-12 from the field.
- Dictated the pace of Notre Dame’s dominating victory over LSU with eight points and five assists in the first half – eventually finishing with 17 points in the game.
- Put up 18 points, five rebounds, four assists and a career-high five steals in the victory over Chicago State on Nov. 16.
- Scored 13 points against Mount St. Mary’s, 10 of those coming in the second half.
- Continued to show in penchant for big second half performances in the season opener, scoring 12 of his 15 points in the second half of the victory at DePaul, including 4-of-5 from three-point range while playing all 20 minutes.
JUNIOR SEASON (2016-17)
- One of the most improved players in the nation during the 2016-17 college basketball season.
- Finished with 16 points, four assists and four rebounds in the NCAA first-round victory over Princeton.
- Dished off 17 assists (5.6 apg) in three games during the ACC Championship, while scoring 14.0 ppg on the way to earning first team all-tournament honors.
- Scored in double figures in all but one (Virginia) ACC game during the season and in 21 of the final 23 games of the season.
- Posted another great second-half effort in the victory over Georgia Tech, scoring 14 of his 17 points while hitting a career-high nine free throws.
- Dished out his 200th career assist at NC State, reaching the 200-assist milestone in 71 games played.
- Keyed Notre Dame’s 10-point second-half comeback at Boston College with 11 points, three 3FGs (part of a career-high five 3FGs) and and three steals.
- Posted second nine-assist game of the ACC campaign against No. 14/15 Florida State at Purcell Pavilion, while also scoring 15 points and matching a career high with five rebounds.
- Shook off another tough first half at No. 10/12 Florida State to score 11 points with seven assists and just one turnover (after committing five in the first half).
- Rebounded from a tough first half against Clemson to shoot 4-of-6 in the second half (3-of-4 from 3FG) with 12 points, three assists, two steals and the game-sealing 3FG with :09 seconds left in the 75-70 victory.
- Faced the Louisville pressure defense and came up with a career-high matching 22 points, eight free throws, three rebounds and two assists.
- Made four 3FG at Pittsburgh (his first career regular season ACC game start) ending with 16 points and the game-winning assist, finding Steve Vasturia in the corner as the clock wound down in overtime on a drive into the paint. Vasturia hit the game-winning three pointer with 2.5 remaining.
- One of the best players on the floor in the battle with No. 15/16 Purdue in the Crossroads Classic, scoring a career-high 22 points while adding a career-best 10 assists to record his first career double-double.
- The 20-point, 10-assist performance was the first for Notre Dame since Jerian Grant accomplished the feat in the 2015 ACC Championship game against North Carolina.
- Became the first Notre Dame player in the Mike Brey era to connect on his first 27 free throw attempts of the season.
- String of 31 consecutive successful free throw attempts, dating back to the 2015-16 season, was snapped in the Saint Peter’s game when he missed the front end of a flagrant foul call.
- Named the Legends Classic Tournament Most Valuable Player for his performance in the semifinals and finals at the Barclays Center (the site of his first two career starts with the Irish in the 2016 NCAA Tournament) averaging 19 points, six assists and two steals in the two victories.
- Scored Notre Dame’s final five points in a come-from-behind victory over Northwestern in the Legends Classic championship game, including a drive/circus-shot ‘and-one’ to give Notre Dame the lead. His two free throws after grabbing a key defensive rebound sealed the four-point victory.
- Broke out for a career game in the Legends Classic semifinal with Colorado, scoring a then career-high 20 points with six assists and three steals.
SOPHOMORE SEASON (2015-16):
- First four career starts came in Notre Dame’s run to the Elite Eight in the 2015-16 NCAA Tournament.
- Finished the four-game stretch averaging 26.8 minutes, 6.5 ppg and 3.5 apg.
- Scored 10 points in the ACC/Big Ten Challenge victory at Illinois (12/2/15), his first career game in double-figures.
- Saw action in 28 games during the season.
- Played with the East Coast All-Stars in the summer of 2016, traveling to Italy and helping the team to a 3-1 record, averaging 11.5 ppg and 4.3 apg.
FRESHMAN SEASON (2014-15):
- Saw action in 15 games during his first year with the program and played in five ACC contests.
- Four-year member of varsity team and three-time captain at Point Pleasant Beach High School in Point Pleasant Beach, N.J.
- Played on teams that won two New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association (NJSIAA) Central New Jersey Group 1 State Championships in consecutive seasons (2013 and 2014), as well as two divisional titles and two sectional crowns.
- Garnered first-team all-state honors as a senior after averaging 19.5 ppg, 5.9 apg, 3.8 rpg and 3.0 spg while leading his prep team to the state semifinals, a 29-2 record and the school’s first Shore Conference Tournament championship.
- Named a first-team all-state honoree by the Newark Star-Ledger as a senior, in addition to earning first-team all-metro accolades that included players from New York, New Jersey and Connecticut.
- Two-time Ocean County Player of the Year.
- Full name is Matthew Thomas Farrell.
- Born in New Brunswick, New Jersey.
- Son of Robert and Michelle Farrell along with his older brother, Robert III.
- Brother, Robert “Bo” Farrell, is a 1st Lieutenant in the 3rd Calvary Regiment currently stationed at OB Fenty, Jalalabad, Afghanistan.
- Bo surprised Matt by returning early from overseas in a reunion that made headlines across the country after the Colgate game on Dec. 19, 2016.
- Grandfather Robert Farrell Sr. is a 1954 Notre Dame graduate.
- Enrolled in the College of Arts and Letters with a major in film, television and theatre.