#27 Katie Marino
HONORS AND AWARDS:
2020 Team Captain
2020 ACC Postgraduate Scholarship Recipient
2020 Senior CLASS Award Finalist
2020 Preseason ACC First Team
2019 NFCA All-Mid-Atlantic Region First Team
2019 All-ACC Second Team
2019 ACC Co-Player of the Week (March 5)
2019 Atlantic Coast Conference All-Academic Team
2019 Atlantic Coast Conference Academic Honor Roll
2018 Atlantic Coast Conference Academic Honor Roll
2017 Atlantic Coast Conference All-Academic Team
2017 Atlantic Coast Conference Academic Honor Roll
AS A SENIOR (2020):
- Named one of four team captains for the Irish
- Started all five games of the NFCA Leadoff Classic at 2B, recording five hits and three runs with four RBI. Marino was walked four times, recording nine putouts and six assists on defense.
- Started four games at the ACC/Big Ten Challenge and batted .333 while slugging .917 with four hits, two home runs, four runs scored, three RBIs and two stolen bases
- Logged eight hits, five RBIs, six runs scored, two home runs and six walks with a .444/.583/.833 slash line in six starts at the Mary Nutter Classic
- Had two hits, including a home run, and accounted for two RBIs and two runs scored in three games started at Duke
- Recorded two hits, two runs scored and a walk in the three-game series at NC State
- Started against UC Santa Barbara
AS A SOPHOMORE (2018):
- Named to the ACC Academic Honor Roll for the second straight season.
- Ranked second on the Notre Dame roster with 27 RBI and 10 doubles, and third in home runs (6), 30 runs and 72 total bases.
- Batted .271 (16-for-59) with runners in scoring position.
- Finished second on the Irish roster with eight multiple-RBI contests, including a team-high three games with three RBI, and chipped in nine multi-hit outings.
- Clocked a home run and drove in three runs in a win over Saint Mary’s (Feb. 9).
- Finished 2-for-3 with a double, home run, three RBI and two runs against South Dakota (Feb. 10).
- Homered for the third time on the opening weekend, driving in two runs against Fresno State (Feb. 11).
- Scored the tying run in an eventual victory over No. 14 Minnesota (Feb. 17) during the Big Ten/ACC Challenge.
- Crossed the plate as the opening run of a win later in the weekend against No. 20 Michigan (Feb. 18).
- Logged two RBI against No. 12 Auburn (Feb. 22).
- 2-for-3 with a solo home run against St. John’s (Feb. 24).
- Recorded two hits, including a home run, with three RBI and two runs in a game one win at NC State (March 10).
- Tied for the Notre Dame lead with two RBI in a series-opening win at Louisville (March 16).
- 2-for-3 with a triple, two RBI and two runs scored in a victory over Eastern Michigan (March 27).
- Solo home run with two runs scored in an opening game triumph against Syracuse (April 7).
- Ripped a pair of doubles and added two RBI and two runs in the series finale against the Orange (April 8) to complete the sweep.
- 4-for-4 with a run scored in the first game of the Strikeout Cancer doubleheader against Duke (April 14).
- 2-for-4 with an RBI and a run in a win over the Blue Devils (April 14) in the nightcap.
- Scored two runs to key the Notre Dame offense in a game one win at Boston College (April 20).
- Logged an RBI and ultimately scored the winning run in an upset win over eventual NCAA champion No. 8 Florida State (April 29).
AS A FRESHMAN (2017):
- Selected to the ACC All-Academic Team.
- Named to the ACC Academic Honor Roll.
- Saw action in 50 games as a freshman, including 46 starts (45 at second base).
- Batted .264 with eight doubles, four home runs, 21 RBI, five stolen bases and 17 runs scored.
- Hit at a .278 clip (10-for-36) with runners in scoring position.
- Total of five multiple-RBI games ranked fifth on the Irish roster.
- Registered a team-high 211 defensive chances, along with 113 putouts and 87 assists from second base post.
- Drove in first career run against San Diego State (Feb. 11).
- First career hit was a seventh-inning solo home run against No. 11 Michigan (Feb. 19) at the ACC/Big Ten Challenge.
- Scored a crucial run during a win against No. 11 Georgia (Feb. 24) at the Mary Nutter Collegiate Classic.
- Blasted game-winning home run in the seventh inning to help lift Notre Dame past eventual NCAA champion No. 4 Oklahoma (Feb. 25).
- Crushed a three-run home run in an Irish victory over Charlotte (March 5) at the Diamond 9 Citrus Classic.
- 2-for-3 with a double and two RBI, and added an ESPN Top 10 highlight catch in foul ground during Melissa Cook Stadium debut against Michigan State (March 22).
- Went 3-for-4 with an RBI double and two runs scored to cap ACC sweep of Virginia Tech (March 25).
- Scored a run in four straight games from North Carolina (April 8) through IUPUI (April 12).
- Crossed the plate for a key run during a nightcap win against No. 24 Arkansas (April 29).
- Went 2-for-3 with a pair of doubles and two RBI in game two of an ACC set against Boston College (May 6).
- Closed the series against the Eagles (May 7) with two RBI and a run scored.
- Connected on two doubles, a home run and drove in three runs against East Tennessee State (May 20) during the NCAA Auburn Regional.
PREP AND PERSONAL:
- Majoring in Science-Business; aspires to be a physician’s assistant
- Twitter: @KatieMarino27
- Instagram: @Katiemarinoo
- Marino and teammate Chelsea Purcell make history as the first-ever graduate students on a Notre Dame Softball roster.
- Four-year letterwinner in softball at The Pingry School.
- Fashioned a .373 batting average with seven home runs, 17 RBI, 13 stolen bases and 29 runs scored as a senior team captain.
- Added a 1.26 ERA and a 13-6 record as a pitcher, striking out 228 batters with only 40 walks in 122.1 innings.
- Earned first team all-state honors, and was first team all-non-public in the state of New Jersey.
- One of 11 players on the NJ.com Player of the Year watch list.
- Batted .500 with seven doubles, seven home runs, 12 RBI, 17 stolen bases and 29 runs scored in only 16 games as a junior team captain.
- Also pitched 106 innings in the circle, striking out 208 opposing hitters.
- Earned all-area, all-county, and all-conference accolades, and was a New Jersey Gatorade Player of the Year nominee.
- Compiled a .678 average with 20 extra-base hits (including 13 home runs), 38 RBI, 22 stolen bases, and 41 runs scored during sophomore campaign.
- Struck out 321 batters in only 147 innings pitched.
- Was a Star Ledger Player to Watch and an all-state selection that season.
- Hit at a .556 clip as a freshman, smashing 10 home runs while driving in 22 runs, stealing 30 bases, and scoring 37 runs.
- Tossed 146 innings in the circle, striking out 287 batters.
- Claimed all-state, all-conference, and all-county first team honors, and was a Star Ledger Player to Watch.
- Also played one season of basketball during freshman year.
- Competed with the New Jersey Intensity KOD club team under head coach Kevin O’Donnell, father of former Irish standout pitcher Brittany O’Donnell – other Irish alumni of Intensity KOD include former players Alexis Bazos, MK Bonamy, Bailey Bigler, O’Donnell, Cassidy Whidden, Megan Sorlie and Carly Piccinich.
- Intensity finished ninth at PGF Nationals during freshman season.
- On the academic honor roll throughout high school career, and has volunteered with St. Vincent DePaul Church, Warren Youth Basketball, Mt. Pleasant Animal Shelter, and the St. Baldrick’s foundation.
- Daughter of Anthony and Patricia Marino.
- Has a twin brother, Anthony.
- Is the seventh Division I athlete in immediate family, joining uncles Jim, Tom, and Matt Bradley who played football at Penn State, mother, Patty, and aunt Cassie Bradley who ran track at Villanova, and uncle, Rich Marino, who played basketball at St. Thomas.