2020-21 Football Roster
#88 Javon McKinley
Class Graduate Student
Hometown Corona, CA
High School Centennial
GRADUATE SEASON (2020)
- Started in the season-opening win vs. Duke (9/12).
- Started and registered one reception for seven yards in the 52-0 win vs. South Florida (9/19).
- Started and tallied five receptions for 107 yards (38-yard long) in the win vs. Florida State (10/10). He led the Irish in receptions and receiving yards, and was the first Irish receiver to reach the 100-yard plateau since Chase Claypool in the 2019 Camping World Bowl.
- The Book-McKinley connection was solid, as McKinley was Notre Dame’s most successful receiver, while also matched up with Preseason All-ACC selection Florida State CB Asante Samuel for much of the evening.
- He surpassed his previous career-high in receiving yards (104) with the 38-yard reception to give him 107 yards in the air. He was also the first Irish player to reach the 100 receiving-yard plateau this season.
- Started and caught one pass for seven yards, also adding one rush for 15 yards, in the 12-7 win over Louisville (10/17).
- Started and recorded two receptions for 50 yards (41-yard long) in the 45-3 win at Pitt (10/24).
- Started and posted a team-leading five receptions for 93 yards in the 31-13 win at Georgia Tech (10/31).
- Started and caught five passes for 102 yards (45-yard long) in the 47-40 2OT win over then-No. 1 Clemson (11/7); just five ACC players posted 100 or more receiving yards on the weekend, and only one eligible ACC player posted a higher reception average than McKinley (20.4 yards per catch). Of McKinley’s five receptions, four resulted in first downs and were for a gain of more than 10 yards. McKinley reached the 100-yard receiving mark on a five-yard pass from Book in overtime. He also reeled in a 45-yard pass from Book in the third quarter for his longest reception of the season thus far.
- Started and recorded five catches for 48 yards in the 45-31 win at Boston College (11/14).
SENIOR SEASON (2019)
- Saw action in nine games, making a pair of starts
- Snagged 11 receptions for 268 yards and four TDs
- Had two catches, both for TDs, totaling 85 yards in win over New Mexico
- Had five receptions for 104 yards and a score against Bowling Green
- Had a TD reception at Michigan
JUNIOR SEASON (2018)
- Played in four games
SOPHOMORE SEASON (2017)
- Missed the season with following an injury suffered during the 2016 campaign
FRESHMAN SEASON (2016)
- Played in six games (Nevada, Michigan State, Duke, Syracuse, NC State and Stanford)
HIGH SCHOOL AND PERSONAL DATA
- Arrived at Notre Dame as one of the most prolific wide receivers in the nation
- Led Centennial to a 14-1 record, consensus top-10 national ranking and the California Interscholastic Federation-State Open Division championship game in 2015
- 2015 American Family Insurance All-USA California Football First Team
- Helped Centennial to a No. 24 final national ranking by The Super 25 Expert Rankings compiled by USA TODAY Sports and No. 5 final national ranking by MaxPreps Xcellent 25
- 2015 Los Angeles Times All-Area High School Football First Team
- Selected to participate in the 2015 U.S. Army All-American Bowl in San Antonio, Texas and the 2015 Nike “The Opening” in Beaverton, Oregon
- Selected as California’s top junior football player in 2014 by CalHiSports.com
- Named 2014 Southern Section All-Pac5 Division Offensive Player of the Year with quarterback Josh Rosen of St. John Bosco (now UCLA)
- 2014 Los Angeles Times All-Area Back of the Year and Riverside Press Enterprise All-Area Offensive Player of the Year
- Scholastic career stats: 180 receptions, 3,752 receiving yards, 43 TD catches, 20.8 yards per reception, 89.9 yards per game receiving and 49 total TDs
- 3,752 career receiving yards were the third-most in CIF Southern Section history
- Caught 56 passes for 1,173 yards (20.9 yards per reception and 90.2 yards per game) and 13 TDs as a senior in 2015
- Attempted two passes, and completed them both, for 130 yards and two TDs, including a 65-yard TD
- Caught 97 passes for 2,062 yards (21.3 yards per reception and 137.5 yards per game) and 25 TDs as a junior in 2014
- His 2,062 receiving yards were the second-most in CIF Southern Section single-season history
- Caught 27 passes for 517 yards (19.1 yards per reception) and five TDs as a sophomore in 2013
- Returned six kickoffs for 111 yards (18.5 yards per return)
- No. 55-ranked player nationally and No. 9-ranked wide receiver on Scout.com 300 list
- No. 90-ranked wide receiver on ESPN 300 list
- No. 110-ranked player in the nation and No. 16-ranked wide receiver on 247Sports.com Top 247
- No. 59-ranked player in the nation and No. 11-ranked wide receiver on Rivals.com 250 list
- No. 60-ranked player on the PrepStar Top 350 Dream Team
- No. 52-ranked player on the Tom Lemming Prep Football Report
- California’s No. 16-ranked player by 247Sports, No. 9-ranked player by Scout, No. 59-ranked player by ESPN and No. 13-ranked player by Rivals
- Played for coach Matt Logan at Centennial High School
- Enrolled in the Mendoza College of Business, majoring in marketing with a minor in Chinese