2020-21 Softball Roster
#9 Chelsea Purcell
Class Graduate Student
Hometown La Habra, Calif.
High School Sonora
AS A SENIOR (2020)
- Saw action in three games of the NFCA Leadoff Classic, starting two at shortstop and totaling seven putouts and three assists.
- Appeared in three games at the ACC/Big Ten Challenge and recorded a hit and an RBI
- Saw action in three games and scores two runs at the Mary Nutter Classic
- Appeared in three games with two starts at Duke and had one home run, RBI and run scored
- Saw action in two games at NC State, including one start
AS A SOPHOMORE (2018)
- Played in 19 games, earning seven starts in the field before missing the remainder of the season due to injury.
- Batted .250 with one double, one triple, two RBI, a .348 on-base percentage and four runs scored in only 20 official at-bats for the year.
- Singled and scored a run in first start of the season against Saint Mary’s (Feb. 9).
- Scored after entering a pinch runner the following day in a win over South Dakota (Feb. 10).
- Added a hit and a run scored to close the opening weekend against Fresno State (Feb. 11).
- Career-high three hits, including a double and a triple, and drove in two runs to complete a weekend sweep of No. 14 Minnesota (Feb. 18).
- Crossed the plate as a pinch runner in a win over St. John’s (Feb. 24).
- Injured during March series at NC State and missed the remainder of the season.
AS A FRESHMAN (2017)
- Competed in 27 games during freshman season, starting 17 games at a combination of shortstop and designated player.
- Finished the year with three extra-base hits, two RBI and four runs scored.
- Made 25 assists in limited fielding chances at shortstop.
- Scored a run in first career collegiate game against Weber State (Feb. 10).
- Registered first career hit, a double, against No. 13 Minnesota (Feb. 17) at the ACC/Big Ten Challenge.
- Went 1-for-3 with a run scored against Texas (Feb. 23) at the Mary Nutter Collegiate Classic.
- Drove in first career RBI by way of a double versus Purdue (March 4).
- Roped a triple and scored a run in a win over Chattanooga (March 5).
- Scored after entering as a pinch runner in game two of an ACC doubleheader at Georgia Tech (March 11).
- Added an RBI during a midweek win at Mercer (March 15).
- Finished with one hit in Melissa Cook Stadium debut against Detroit Mercy (April 11).
PREP AND PERSONAL:
- Pursuing a Masters of Science in Management (MSM) in the Mendoza College of Business. Graduated from Notre Dame in 2020 with a degree in Film, Television and Theatre and a minor in Business Economics. Aspires to work for a company in a capacity where she can express creativity and leadership, with an eye towards possibly attending law school in the future.
- Purcell and teammate Katie Marino make history in 2020-21 as Notre Dame Softball’s first-ever graduate students on the roster.
- Twitter: @ChelsArriana
- Instagram: @chelseaarriana
- Multi-year softball letterwinner at Sonora High School.
- Batted .410 with 10 doubles, four home runs, 17 RBI, a .459 on-base percentage a .743 slugging percentage and 23 runs scored as a senior to claim Whittier Daily News all-area second team honors.
- Competed in the 2016 Whittier Rotary All-Star Baseball and Softball Classic.
- Named team most valuable player and was a first team all-league selection as a junior after batting .462 with nine extra-base hits, 11 RBI, three stolen bases and 20 runs scored in 21 games.
- Hit at a .380 clip as a sophomore, connecting on six doubles, seven home runs, 21 RBI, and scored 18 runs.
- Was a first team all-league selection that season, and was named team defensive player of the year.
- Batted .319 as a freshman, with 12 of 23 total hits going for extra bases, driving in 17 runs and scoring 14 times.
- Tabbed as the team offensive player of the year after rookie campaign.
- Competed with Firecrackers-Brashear, the SoCal Athletics-McNee/Meyers, and the Ohana Tigers on the club circuit.
- The Firecrackers squad was the undefeated 2011 ASA national champion, while the SoCal A’s took the top spot in the 16u draw at 2014 PGF Nationals.
- Was a scholar-athlete over four years at Sonora High School.
- Daughter of Mo and Pamela Purcell.
- Has one sister, Amber Smith, who played softball at Alabama State.
- Is the 50th player from California to play for Notre Dame softball, the most represented state on the all-time Irish varsity roster.