Notre Dame plays its final road match of the regular season at 7 p.m. on Saturday, Oct. 26, as the Irish take on No. 2 Wake Forest at Spry Stadium. The match will be broadcast on ACCNX and be available to stream on WatchESPN (subscription required).
THE WAKE FOREST SERIES
• The Irish and Demon Deacons will meet on the pitch for the 12th time on Saturday evening.
• The Irish trail Wake Forest in the series with a mark of 3-9-2.
• Notre Dame is 2-4-0 when playing Wake Forest in Winston-Salem.
• The Irish are 3-2-1 against Wake Forest since joining the ACC in 2013.
• Saturday will be the first meeting between the two sides since playing twice in the 2016 season.
• The Irish fell to the Demon Deacons in their most recent meeting by a score of 1-0 in Winston-Salem in the ACC Championship quarterfinals on Nov. 6, 2016.
LYNN LEADING THE LINE
• Sophomore striker Jack Lynn has enjoyed a breakout season in 2019, scoring a team-high eight goals to lead the Irish attack.
• Lynn is in top form entering Saturday’s fixture, scoring four goals in the last four games.
• After scoring goals in wins over Seattle and Denver the sophomore was named the Mike Berticelli Memorial Tournament MVP.
• The striker recorded the first brace of his career with two goals in the win over Purdue Fort Wayne.
• Lynn scored the match winner to beat No. 21 Duke in the 65th minute on Oct. 11.
• Lynn has already surpassed his goal tally from last season (three goals).
• Felicien Dumas has already scored three goals and added three assists this season off set pieces.
• The graduate student has free kick goals against Seattle, Clemson and DePaul and has assists against Saint Louis, Seattle and Purdue Fort Wayne.
• The goal against DePaul found the back of the net with just five seconds left on the clock in regulation to deliver the Irish a 1-0 victory.
• Dumas scored the goal of the season for the Irish in 2018, curling an effort into the top right corner in a 3-2 win over Syracuse.
• Dumas is the active leader for career assists with 17.
• The graduate student was named the ACC Defensive Player of the Week on Oct. 14 after helpint the Irish backline to shutout victories over No. 21 Duke and Purdue Fort Wayne.
UNITED SOCCER COACHES Men’s Team Academic Award RECIPIENT
• Notre Dame has been named a recipient of the United Soccer Coaches Men’s Team Academic Award for the 19th time in the last 20 seasons.
• To qualify for the award, a team must have a minimum grade point average of 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale) to be eligible.
• The Irish have earned the award more than any other ACC team since the inception of the honor in 1996.
• The Irish have scored three goals in the first 10 minutes of matches this season.
• In the season opener Notre Dame scored a goal in the second minute (1:12) of play, marking the quickest goal to start a season in program history.
• Freshman Mohammad Abualnadi scored the first goal off a rebound from a Felicien Dumas free kick.
• The goal scored at 1:12 is tied for the second fastest goal scored to open a match since 1995.
• The Irish have scored first in nine of 13 matches this season and have dropped just one match when scoring the first goal (7-1-1).
ONE OF THE TOUGHEST SCHEDULES IN THE COUNTRY
• The Irish have never shied away from playing a challenging slate of opponents and the 2019 schedule looks to be no different.
• Notre Dame has or will play four of the top 10 ranked teams in the latest United Soccer Coaches poll in No. 2 Wake Forest, No. 3 Clemson, No. 6 Virginia and No. 10 Indiana.
• Seven of the 16 teams on Notre Dame’s regular-season schedule are currently ranked in the top 25.
• Ten of the sides the Irish are scheduled to face qualified for the 2018 NCAA tourney.
• Five of six of Notre Dame’s defeats have come against teams currently ranked in the top 25 of the United Soccer Coaches Poll, including two against top six opponents.
FOLLOW US ON SOCIAL MEDIA