Jan. 20, 2016
Notre Dame 83 (13-5, 4-2 ACC), Virginia Tech 81 (12-7, 4-2 ACC)
January 20, 2016
Purcell Pavilion at the Joyce Center – Notre Dame, Ind.
- The game marked the seventh meeting between Virginia Tech and Notre Dame. The Irish lead the all-time series 6-1, including 3-0 at Purcell Pavilion.
- First meeting: March 25, 1973, a 92-91 OT victory for Virginia Tech in the postseason NIT championship game.
- Notre Dame is 24-18 in ACC regular-season play after two-plus seasons in the conference.
- Steve Vasturia (Jr./G), Zach Auguste (Sr./F), Demetrius Jackson (Jr./G), V.J. Beachem (Jr./F) and Matt Ryan (Fr./F) started the contest for Notre Dame. The Irish are 3-0 this season with that starting quintet.
- Four players reached double figures in scoring for the Irish: Auguste (22), Jackson (18), Colson (15) and Vasturia (14).
- With a 3-pointer at 18:59 in the opening half, Ryan extended the Irish streak to 565 consecutive games with a 3-point field goal.
- The Irish were limited to 10 turnovers in the game. This season, Notre Dame has recorded 10 or fewer turnovers on 11 occasions.
- Virginia Tech led 45-37 after the first half. The Irish are 3-3 this season when trailing after the first 20-minute stanza.
- Notre Dame outrebounded Virginia Tech, 35-27. The Irish are 11-1 this season when holding an advantage on the boards.
- The Irish shot 51 percent (29-57) from the field. This season, Notre Dame has shot 50 percent or better in 10 games and holds a 9-1 record in those outings.
- Notre Dame held a 44-40 advantage over Virginia Tech in points scored in the paint.
- The Notre Dame bench outscored Virginia Tech’s bench, 17-7. The Irish are 6-0 this season when securing more bench points than their opponent.
- A back-and-forth affair, the lead changed 14 times over the course of the game. Notre Dame’s largest lead was nine points.
- Brey is now 345-170 during his career at Notre Dame and 444-222 overall as a head coach.
- At the helm of the Notre Dame program, Brey owns a 6-0 record over Virginia Tech.
Zach Auguste (Sr./F)
- With 22 points and a career-high 15 rebounds, Auguste registered the 15th double-double of his career and 10th this season.
- Auguste’s most recent double-double outing was at Boston College (15 pts, 11 rbs) on Jan. 7.
- His 15 rebounds vs. the Hokies serves as a career-high mark. He previously posted 14 rebounds on four occasions.
- The game was Auguste’s third 20-plus point performance this season and the eighth of his career.
- August has earned double-figure scoring totals in 14 games this season, bringing his career total to 53.
- Auguste has secured 10-plus rebounds on 12 occasions this season and 18 times throughout his career.
Bonzie Colson (So./F)
- Colson has totaled 46 points for the Irish in the last two games combined. He previously posted a career-high 31 points in a win vs. Duke (Jan. 16), as well as 15 points this evening against Virginia Tech.
- The game was Colson’s 13th double figure outing this season and the 18th for his career.
Demetrius Jackson (Jr./G)
- With a 18 points, Jackson secured the 53rd double figure outing of his career. He has reached double figures in 16 of 18 contests this season.
Steve Vasturia (Jr./G)
- He has reached double figures in 15 games this season and 40 games overall with the Irish.
Rex Pflueger (Fr./G)
- Pflueger posted a career-high three rebounds against the Hokies. His previous career mark of two was registered on two occasions – vs. Youngstown State (12/21/15) and UMass Lowell (11/21/15).