Dec. 13, 2015
University of Notre Dame Men’s Basketball
Notre Dame 81, Loyola Chicago 61
Dec. 13, 2015
Purcell Pavilion at the Joyce Center – Notre Dame, Indiana
- The contest was the 32nd meeting between Notre Dame and Loyola Chicago, as well as the first game since Nov. 22, 2000.
- Notre Dame leads the all-time series 30-2 versus Loyola Chicago.
- Notre Dame moves to 56-14 all-time versus teams from the Missouri Valley Conference.
- Mike Brey is 339-167 during his career at Notre Dame and 438-219 overall as head coach.
- Bonzie Colson (So./F), Steve Vasturia (Jr./G), Zach Auguste (Sr./F), Demetrius Jackson (Jr./G) and V.J. Beachem (Jr./F) started the contest for Notre Dame. The Irish are 7-2 this season with that starting quintet.
- Five players scored in double figures for the Irish: Ryan (14 points), Colson (14), Beachem (10), Jackson (10) and Vasturia (10)
- With a three-pointer at the 19:33 mark of the first half, V.J. Beachem extended the Irish streak to 556 consecutive games with a three-point field goal.
- Notre Dame led 40-34 at halftime. The Fighting Irish are 6-1 when leading after the first 20-minute stanza.
- The Irish shot 58 percent (29-50) from the field and 50 percent (10-20) from three-point range. Notre Dame also converted 13-19 (68 percent) from the charity stripe.
- The Irish are 4-0 in contests in which they shoot 50 percent or better from the field, including its last three consecutive games.
- Loyola Chicago did not connect on a free throw (0 percent; 0-3). During the Mike Brey era, Charleston Southern was the only other opponent to finish 0 percent from the line (11/26/04).
- Notre Dame’s Bonzie Colson and Matt Ryan led all scorers with 14 points each.
- Notre Dame outrebounded Loyola Chicago, 36-23. Notre Dame is 6-1 when holding an advantage on the boards this season.
- The Irish held a 34-20 advantage over Loyola Chicago in points earned in the paint.
Demetrius Jackson (Jr./G)
- Jackson has scored in double figures in all nine games. Only he and Steve Vasturia have registered double figures in every game this season.
- Jackson has scored in double figures in 46 contests overall.
- Contributing three steals on the defensive end, Jackson tied a season high.
Matt Ryan (Fr./F)
- Connected on a career-high five field goals (5-8), including four from behind the arc (4-6).
- Posted 14 points against Loyola Chicago, a career high. Previously totaled 11 points versus Iowa (11/27/15).
- Ryan also established a career high with five rebounds.
Bonzie Colson (So./F)
- Colson totaled 14 points, a season high.
- Dishing out three assists, Colson tied a career high.
Steve Vasturia (Jr./G)
- Vasturia has scored in double figures all nine games for the Irish this season.
- His current 12-game double-figure scoring streak is the longest of his career and the longest active streak for any member of the Irish squad.
V.J. Beachem (Jr./F)
- Beachem secured 10 points. He has reached double figures in 17 games during his collegiate career.
- Beachem recorded four assists versus the Ramblers, earning a career high. His previous high of two assists was posted on five occasions.
- Established two blocks during the game, which was a career high. Beachem previously had one block on 10 occasions, including two this season.
Rex Pflueger (Fr./G)
- Earning eight minutes of game action, Pflueger tied a career high with two assists.