Dec. 19, 2015
University of Notre Dame Men’s Basketball
Indiana 80, Notre Dame 73
Dec. 19, 2015
Bankers Life Fieldhouse – Indianapolis, Ind.
- Notre Dame is 3-2 overall in five matchups at the Crossroads Classic – 1-2 vs. Indiana and 2-0 vs. Purdue.
- Indiana leads the all-time series 49-22. Before the matchup this afternoon, the Irish won three of the last four meetings.
- Notre Dame is 268-233 all-time against teams from the Big Ten Conference.
- The game versus Indiana marks the third time this season the Fighting Irish have faced a Big Ten foe. Notre Dame owns a 2-1 record against the Big Ten during the 2015-16 campaign.
- Under Mike Brey, Notre Dame has posted a 7-5 record in Indianapolis, including a 5-4 mark in Bankers Life Fieldhouse.
- Brey is 339-168 during his career at Notre Dame and 438-220 overall as head coach.
- Bonzie Colson (So./F), Steve Vasturia (Jr./G), Zach Auguste (Sr./F), Demetrius Jackson (Jr./G) and V.J. Beachem (Jr./F) started the contest for Notre Dame. The Irish are 7-3 this season with that starting quintet.
- Three players scored in double figures for the Irish: Bonzie Colson (24 points), V.J. Beachem (18) and Zach Auguste (12)
- With a three-pointer at the 18:32 mark of the first half, V.J. Beachem extended the Irish streak to 557 consecutive games with a three-point field goal.
- Notre Dame led 41-31 at halftime. The Fighting Irish are 6-2 when leading after the first 20-minute stanza.
- The Irish shot 49 percent (32-65) from the field and 28 percent (5-18) from three-point range. Notre Dame converted 4-8 (50 percent) from the charity stripe.
- The Irish combined for 10 blocks, a season-high total.
- Notre Dame did not secure a free throw in the second half of play (0-2). There have been four occasions during the Mike Brey area when Notre Dame failed to make a free throw in the second half. The last time was March 18, 2004 against Old Dominion.
- Notre Dame’s four made free throws and eight attempts for the game were both season-low totals.
- Notre Dame held its largest lead of the contest – 16 points – at 16:42 in the second half.
- Notre Dame’s Bonzie Colson led all scorers with a career-high 24 points.
- Indiana outrebounded Notre Dame, 41-33. Notre Dame is 1-2 when failing to gain an advantage on the boards this season.
- The Irish held a 46-30 advantage over Indiana in points earned in the paint.
Bonzie Colson (So./F)
- Colson scored a career-high 24 points. His previous career mark of 17 points was set both versus Louisville (3/4/15) and Duke (3/13/15).
- The game marked Colson’s first 20-plus point performance with the Irish.
- Colson has registered double figures in scoring in seven contests this season and 12 games overall during his career.
- Colson connected on 11-for-16 from the field, posting a career-high in field goals made.
- Colson secured 16 points and six rebounds in the first half of play alone.
V.J. Beachem (Jr./F)
- Beachem secured 18 points. He has reached double figures in 18 games during his collegiate career.
- Beachem tied a career high with seven field goals made. He last posted the total against Milwaukee (11/17/15).
- With three steals, Beachem earned a career high. Previously, his career-high mark was two steals posted against Navy (11/16/14 and Wake Forest (2/17/15).
Zach Auguste (Sr./F)
- Auguste has scored in double figures in eight of 10 games this season and 47 times during his career.
- Auguste tied a career high with three blocked shots. He previously earned the mark versus Providence (2/16/13).
Matt Farrell (So./G)
- Farrell dished out a career-high four assists. His previous high of two assists was registered versus Loyola Chicago (12/13/15) and Milwaukee (11/17/15).
Matt Ryan (Fr./F)
- Ryan posted three blocks against the Hoosiers, marking a career high.