Dec. 4, 2013
– Tonight was the 14th meeting all-time between Notre Dame and Iowa and the first since Nov. 17, 1990 … the Irish lead the series 8-6 … this was Notre Dame’s first visit to Iowa City since Dec. 18, 1950.
– Senior center Garrick Sherman scored a career-high 29 points … those were the most points for an Irish player since Tim Abromaitis and Ben Hansbrough both scored 30 against Villanova on Feb. 28, 2011.
– Garrick Sherman (29) and Eric Atkins (23) became the first Notre Dame teammates to score 20-plus points in the same game since Jerian Grant (22) and Jack Cooley (22) did so against DePaul on Feb. 11, 2012.
– Iowa’s 98 points were the most surrendered by the Irish in a 40-minute contest since a 102-87 setback to North Carolina on Nov. 26, 2008 at the Maui Invitational.
– Notre Dame’s 93 points were the most for the program in a regulation loss since a 105-95 setback to USC on Dec. 12, 1990.
– The Fighting Irish committed just seven turnovers … it was the fourth time this season they had fewer than 10 turnovers in a game.
– Notre Dame trailed 52-43 at halftime … the Irish are 0-2 this season when trailing at the intermission.
– The Irish dropped to 232-208 all-time against teams from the Big Ten Conference, including a 6-11 mark under head coach Mike Brey.
– Eric Atkins (Sr./G), Pat Connaughton (Jr./G), Jerian Grant (Sr./G), Demetrius Jackson (Fr./G) and Garrick Sherman (Sr./C) started tonight’s contest … it was the second straight game and second time this season that quintet has started … Atkins, Connaughton, Grant and Sherman have started all seven games this season … Jackson has started two games this season.
– A three-pointer from Pat Connaughton in the first half upped Notre Dame’s streak of consecutive games with a made three-pointer to 484.
Eric Atkins (Sr./G)
– Scored a season-high 23 points … it was his fifth straight double-figure effort and the sixth of the season … has reached double-digits 55 times during his career. – Tonight was his first 20-plus point effort of the season and the fifth of his career. – Was 4-of-5 from three-point range
Pat Connaughton (Jr.
– Scored 12 points … it was his fifth double-digit scoring effort of the season (second straight) and the 28th of his career.
Jerian Grant (Sr.
– Notched the fourth double-double of his career (first of the season) with 13 points and a career-high tying 10 assists … the 10 assists were the most for any Notre Dame player this season. – He is the only Irish player to score in double-figures in all seven games this season … has 61 double-figure efforts in his career (most of any current Irish player).
Garrick Sherman (Sr.
– Scored a career-high and game-high 29 points (previous high was 22 versus Monmouth last season) … it was the second 20-plus point effort of his career … it was his fourth straight double-digit performance (a career-best streak) and the fifth of the season … has scored in double-figures 15 times during his career (14 times while at Notre Dame). – Netted 18 points in the first half – Tied a career-high mark with nine rebounds, which were a game-high total.