Feb. 4, 2012
– Today was the 116th meeting all-time between Notre Dame and Marquette. The Irish lead the series 80-36. Notre Dame is 5-6 against Marquette since the Golden Eagles joined the BIG EAST in 2005. This is Notre Dame’s first two-game win streak over the Golden Eagles since they joined the BIG EAST.
– Notre Dame matched a season-high total with 11 made three-pointers. That marked the fourth time this season – and first in BIG EAST play – that the Irish made 10 or more treys in a game. The Irish are 4-0 in those contests.
– Eric Atkins (So./G), Pat Connaughton (Fr./G), Jack Cooley (Jr./F), Jerian Grant (So./G) and Scott Martin (Sr./G) started today’s contest. It was the fourth straight game – and fourth time overall this season – that quintet has started. The Irish are 4-0 with that starting lineup. No Notre Dame player has started every game. Grant and Martin both have a team-high 22 starts this season.
– Notre Dame’s current four-game win streak matches its longest of the season. The Irish opened the 2011-12 campaign with four straight victories.
– Today’s loss snapped Marquette’s seven-game win streak.
– The Irish had 22 assists on their 28 made field goals. The 22 assists were the most for the Irish in a BIG EAST game this season.
– The Fighting Irish led 30-26 at halftime. Notre Dame is 11-1 this season when leading at the intermission.
– The Irish held a 35-33 rebound advantage. Notre Dame is 10-0 this season when out-rebounding its opponent.
– Pat Connaughton’s 23 points were the most for a Notre Dame player in a BIG EAST game this season. The previous high was Alex Dragicevich’s 22 points versus Pittsburgh in the league opener. Connaughton’s five made three-pointers were the most for any Irish player in a BIG EAST game this season. The previous high was four on two occasions.
– Pat Connaughton became the first Notre Dame true freshman to record a double-double since Luke Harangody’s on March 8, 2007 versus Syracuse in the BIG EAST Tournament.
– Notre Dame is 5-4 against ranked opponents this season. The five wins over AP top-25 teams are tied for the most in the country this season. Ohio State also has five.
– Notre Dame is 12-1 at home, 3-3 in true road games and 0-4 in neutral site contests this season.
– The Irish are 31-1 in their last 32 home games.
– An Eric Atkins three-pointer early in the first half upped Notre Dame’s streak of consecutive games with a made three-pointer to 431.
Eric Atkins (So./G)
– Scored in double-figures (18 points) for the 15th time this season (seventh time in BIG EAST play)
Pat Connaughton (Fr./G-F)
– Posted his first career double-double with 23 points and a career-high 11 rebounds
– Scored in double-figures for the fifth time overall this season and for the first time in BIG EAST play … prior to today, his last double-digit effort came on Nov. 30 at Gonzaga (11 points)
– Today was his second 20-plus point game of the season … he tallied 24 versus Sam Houston State (Nov. 16)
– Dished out a career-high tying three assists
– Blocked a career-high two shots
– Led the team in points and rebounds for the second time this season
Jerian Grant (So./G)
– Scored in double-figures (12 points) for a team-best 18th time this season (eight times in BIG EAST play)
– Had a game-high eight assists
Scott Martin (Sr./G)
– Scored in double-figures (11 points) for the seventh time in the last eight games and for the 12th time overall this season (seventh time in BIG EAST play)