Dec. 8, 2011
2011-12 Notre Dame Men’s Basketball
Notre Dame 87, Maine 78
December 8, 2011
Purcell Pavilion at the Joyce Center, Notre Dame, Ind.
- Tonight was the third meeting all-time between Notre Dame and Maine. The Irish lead the series 3-0, which includes a 97-72 win over the Black Bears last season.
- Scott Martin (Sr./G), Joey Brooks (Jr./G), Tom Knight (Jr./F), Eric Atkins (So./G) and Jerian Grant (So./G) started tonight’s contest. It marked the second straight game – and second time overall this season – that quintet has started. Martin and Grant are the only two Irish players to start every game this season.
- With his career-high 22 points, junior forward Jack Cooley became the sixth Notre Dame player to score 20 or more points in a game this season … Tim Abromaitis, Eric Atkins, Pat Connaughton, Jerian Grant and Scott Martin are the others to post 20 or more points in a game this season.
- An Alex Dragicevich three-pointer early in the first half upped Notre Dame’s streak of consecutive games with a made three-pointer to 418.
- Notre Dame led 44-41 at halftime. The Irish are 5-0 this season when leading at the intermission.
- Notre Dame held a commanding 42-8 advantage in bench scoring.
- Tonight’s victory upped Notre Dame’s home win streak to 25 games. That is the second longest Irish win streak inside Purcell Pavilion at the Joyce Center in program history. The Fighting Irish won 45 straight at the Joyce Center from March 4, 2006-Jan. 10, 2009.
- The Irish are 60-14 in December under head coach Mike Brey.
Eric Atkins (So./G)
- Scored in double-figures (26 points) for the sixth time this season (out of eight games played) … it was the second 20-plus point game of his career (he scored a career-high 27 in this year’s season opener vs. Mississippi Valley State)
- Tonight marked the fourth time this season that he’s led the Irish in scoring
- Hit a career-high five three-pointers (on seven attempts) … his nine field goals also were a career-best total (previous high was six)
- Matched a career-high total by playing 40 minutes … also played 40 minutes on Sunday against Maryland
Jack Cooley (Jr./F)
- Notched his second double-double of the season (and career) with a career-high 22 points to go along with 14 rebounds
- Scored in double-figures for the second time this season and for the sixth time in his career
- His 14 rebounds marked the third time this season (and career) that he’s hauled down at least 10 boards in a game
- Tied a career-high total with two blocked shots
- Made a career-high eight free throws (on nine attempts)
Alex Dragicevich (So./G)
- Scored in double-figures (14 points) for the third time this season (also third time during his career)
- Tied a career-high total with four made free throws (on four attempts)
Tom Knight (Jr./F)
- Matched a career-high total with seven points against his home state team (Knight hails from Dixfield, Maine)
- Played a career-high 23 minutes
Scott Martin (Sr./G)
- Did not play in the second half due to an injury suffered in the first half