Feb. 25, 2012
– Notre Dame had its program-record nine-game BIG EAST win streak snapped. The Fighting Irish also had won four straight road games prior to today.
– The Fighting Irish never led in today’s contest.
– Today was the 38th meeting all-time between Notre Dame and St. John’s. The Irish lead the series 20-18. Notre Dame has dropped its last three games at St. John’s
– Eric Atkins (So./G), Pat Connaughton (Fr./G), Jack Cooley (Jr./F), Jerian Grant (So./G) and Scott Martin (Sr./G) started today’s contest. It was the 10th straight game – and 10th time overall this season – that quintet has started. The Irish are 9-1 with that starting lineup. Grant and Martin both have a team-high 28 starts this season.
– Notre Dame trailed 31-25 at halftime. The Irish are 5-8 this season when trailing at the intermission.
– The Irish only committed seven turnovers. That marked the 13th time this season (seventh time in BIG EAST play) that Notre Dame committed fewer than 10 turnovers in a game. The Irish have had fewer than 10 turnovers in each of the last four games.
– Notre Dame shot 12.9% (4-31) from three-point range … that percentage from beyond the arc is a season-low for the Irish … the previous low as 14.3% (2-14) at Gonzaga (Nov. 30)
– Notre Dame is 15-1 at home, 5-4 in true road games and 0-4 in neutral site contests this season.
– A Pat Connaughton three-pointer in the first half upped Notre Dame’s streak of consecutive games with a made three-pointer to 437.
Jack Cooley (Jr./F)
– Posted his fifth double-double in the last six games with 18 points and a game-high 11 rebounds … he has a team-best 11 double-doubles this season (nine in BIG EAST play) – Has scored in double-figures 16 times this season (11 times in BIG EAST play) … today was his sixth-straight double-digit scoring effort … that is a career-best double-figure scoring streak – Reached double-figures in rebounds for the 13th time this season (10th time in BIG EAST play) – Shot 7-for-9 from the floor
Tom Knight (Jr./F)
– Hauled down a career-high six rebounds … his previous high was five on two occasions
Scott Martin (Sr./G)
– Scored in double-figures (18 points) for the second straight game … has 15 double-digit scoring efforts this season (10 in BIG EAST play) – The 18 points were a season-high in BIG EAST play – Was 9-for-15 from the field … the nine made field goals were a career-high total … his previous high was eight on two occasions