April 28, 2013
Notre Dame vs. Connecticut
April 28, 2013
Frank Eck Stadium
– Notre Dame has won four consecutive games seven of its last eight.
– Notre Dame has recorded 10 or more hits in seven of its last eight games.
– The Irish registered 37 hits and batted .363 in the series against Connecticut.
– Notre Dame senior 2B and co-captain Frank Desico led off the first inning with a solo home run. He was the first Irish player to leadoff the opening inning with a home run since Ryan Connolly on May 1, 2010 against St. John’s.
– DeSico drove in four runs Sunday, which was one RBI shy of his career high. He had five RBI on March 21, 2012 against IPFW.
– Junior 1B and All-American candidate Trey Mancini ripped a single in the top of the first inning. He added base hits in the fifth and sixth innings as well. Mancini went 3-for-5 with a run scored.
– Mancini batted .750 (15-for-20) this week with five runs scored, three doubles and five RBI. He registered a .900 slugging percentage and .727 on-base percentage.
– Mancini actually went hitless in his first at bats this week before collecting base hit over his next 10 plate appearances before a sacrifice fly. In all, he went 15 for his last 18 this week.
– Mancini batted .750 (9-for-12) with three runs scored, one double and three RBI in the sweep of the Huskies.
– Junior 3B and All-American candidate Eric Jagielo had a pair of RBI doubles. He went 2-for-5 and kept his season batting average at .400.
– Sophomore PH Blaise Lezynski stroked a two-run double in the bottom of the fifth inning to give the Irish a 7-5 lead over Connecticut. Earlier this week against Michigan State, Lezynski drilled a critical pinch-hit two-run home run to give the Irish a 4-3 lead over the Spartans.
– Freshman SS Lane Richards went 3-for-5 with two runs scored and two RBI. He equaled his career high of three base hits. Richards previously had three hits against Villanova (April 6) and Florida Gulf Coast (Feb. 16).
– Junior RHP Dan Slania tossed 2.0 scoreless innings of relief. Slania lowered his season ERA to 0.26. He has allowed just one earned run in 34.0 innings of work in 2013.
— ND —