Dec. 29, 2010
- Tonight was the 27th meeting all-time between Notre Dame and Georgetown. The Hoyas lead the series 14-13, yet the Fighting Irish have won the past three meetings. That is Notre Dame’s second-longest win streak in the series (most is four in a row). The Irish are 8-5 at home against Georgetown.
- Tonight’s game was Notre Dame’s first sellout (9,149) of the season.
- Tonight’s win over No. 9 Georgetown was Notre Dame’s first victory over a top-10 team since a 70-68 triumph of No. 8 West Virginia last season (Jan. 9, 2010) at Purcell Pavilion at the Joyce Center.
- Seniors Tyrone Nash (F), Tim Abromaitis (F), Carleton Scott (F), Ben Hansbrough (G) and Scott Martin (G) started today’s contest. It marked the 12th time (out of 13 games) this season that quintet has started. The only game they did not start was versus Chicago State (Nov. 17) when Martin was out with back spasms.
- Senior forward Tyrone Nash extended his consecutive games played streak to a team-best 63 contests. Nash and senior guard Ben Hansbrough both have started 48 straight contests, which is a team-high total.
- Notre Dame now is 10-6 all-time in BIG EAST Conference openers, including 7-4 in the Mike Brey era. The Irish have won their last five conference lid-lifters.
- Notre Dame is off to a 12-1 start for the first time since the 2006-07 campaign. That Irish squad opened the season with a 13-1 record. That also was the only other time during Notre Dame’s BIG EAST era that the Irish suffered just one regular-season non-conference loss.
- Tim Abromaitis’s three-pointer less than two minutes into the contest extended Notre Dame’s streak to 387 straight games with a made three-pointer. The Fighting Irish have made at least one three pointer during every game of the Mike Brey era.
- With his 20 points, Tim Abromaitis now has scored 20-plus points seven times this season, including in each of the past four games, and 16 times in his career. Abromaitis has reached double-figures in points 11 times this season and 39 times in his career.
- Tim Abromaitis matched a career-high total with five made three-pointers (on seven attempts). He has hit five treys four times in his career.
- Ben Hansbrough (17 points) has scored in double-figures a team-best 12 times this season, including in each of the past seven games, which is a team-best streak this season. He has reached double-digits 61 times in his career (35 times while at Notre Dame).
- Ben Hansbrough has made a three-pointer in a team-best 17 straight games dating back to last season. That is the longest such streak since Tim Abromaitis made a trey in 29 consecutive games last season.
- Ben Hansbrough tied a season-high total with six rebounds.
- Scott Martin (11 points) reached double-figures for the second straight game and for the fifth time this season. It’s the first time this season that he’s reached double-digits in consecutive games. He has 18 career games in double-figures.
- Tyrone Nash (15 pts., 10 rebs.) notched his third double-double of the season. That ties him with Carleton Scott for the lead in that category for the season. Nash has four career double-doubles.
- Notre Dame started 1-4 from the free throw line, yet the Irish hit 21 of their final 23 attempts.