Jan. 4, 2012
2011-12 Notre Dame Men’s Basketball
Cincinnati 71, Notre Dame 55
January 4, 2012
Fifth Third Arena – Cincinnati, Ohio
– Tonight was the 12th meeting all-time between Notre Dame and Cincinnati. The Fighting Irish lead the series 8-4. The Irish had won the previous three meetings with the Bearcats prior to tonight. Notre Dame now is 1-3 all-time at Cincinnati. Irish head coach Mike Brey is 6-3 all-time against the Bearcats.
– Notre Dame is off to a 1-1 start in BIG EAST play for the fourth straight season.
– Eric Atkins (So./G), Jack Cooley (Jr./F), Alex Dragicevich (So./G), Jerian Grant (So./G) and Scott Martin (Sr./G) started tonight’s contest. It was the fourth straight game – and fourth time overall this season – that quintet has started. It is the most-used starting lineup for the Irish this season. Notre Dame is 2-2 when that quintet starts. Grant and Martin both have a team-high 14 starts this season.
– Notre Dame is 9-0 at home and 0-6 in road/neutral site contests this season.
– Notre Dame trailed 31-21 at halftime. The Irish are 2-6 this season when trailing at the intermission.
– The Fighting Irish registered season-low totals in free throws attempted (11) and free throws made (8) ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢’Â¬Â¦ the previous attempt low was 15 against both Bryant (Nov. 27) and Dartmouth (Dec. 10) and the previous make low was 10 versus Sam Houston State (Nov. 16)
– A Jerian Grant three-pointer in the first half upped Notre Dame’s streak of consecutive games with a made three-pointer to 423.
Jack Cooley (Jr./F)
– Notched his team-best third double-double of the season (also third of his career) with 15 points and 11 rebounds
– Scored in double-figures for the fifth time in the last six games and for the sixth time overall this season
– Tonight was his second straight double-digit rebounding effort and his team-best fifth overall of the season
– Has led the Irish in rebounding a team-best 10 times this season
Jerian Grant (So./G)
– Scored in double-figures (17 points) for the 12th time this season, which is a team-best total ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢’Â¬Â¦ he has reached double-figures in the last four games
– Led the Irish in scoring for the fourth time this season
Scott Martin (Sr./G)
– Matched a season-high rebound total with eight ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢’Â¬Â¦ also had eight boards against Bryant (Nov. 27)