April 30, 2011
2011 Notre Dame Baseball
Notre Dame 2, Seton Hall 1 (F/12)
April 30, 2011
Frank Eck Stadium – Notre Dame, Ind.
- Notre Dame ended its four-game losing streak with a 2-1 victory over the Pirates of Seton Hall. The Irish improved to 15-21-1 on the season and 6-10 in the BIG EAST. Seton Hall fell to 20-20 on the season and 7-10 in conference play.
- The Irish extended their overall series lead with the Pirates to 31-13, which includes an 18-5 mark at Frank Eck Stadium.
- For the sixth time this season, the Irish had to go into extra innings to determine the winner of the contest. The Irish are now 2-3-1 in extra inning games this season.
- For the second straight game and the 14th time this season, an Irish contest was decided by one run. The Irish are now 6-8 in those outings.
- Star freshman Eric Jagielo notched the game-winning RBI single through the right side in the 12th inning. That hit extended Jagielo’s hitting streak to five games.
- Irish starter Cole Johnson took a no-hitter into the seventh inning before giving up a single to Mike Genovese. Johnson finished the day with nine innings pitched, giving up one earned run while striking out two.
- Second baseman Frank DeSico collected two singles on the day. That showing is good for his 10th multi-hit game this season. DeSico is batting .385 (5-for-13) over his last three games.
- Senior Greg Sherry recorded his fifth double of the season in the first inning.
- Freshman Sean Fitzgerald relieved Johnson, pitching the final three innings of the contest. Fitzgerald picked up his first victory in an Irish uniform with his performance.
- Designated hitter Adam Norton collected a single in the 11th inning. Norton now has a three-game hitting streak.
- Junior Alex Robinson singled to left field in the third inning extending his current hitting streak to a season-high three games.
- For the second time this season the defensive line-up consisted of Hudson behind the plate, Mancini at first, Desico at second, Sherry at third, Doyle at short, Jagielo in left, Robinson in center, Petzold in right and Norton as the DH.
- For the first time this year, the Irish line-up went Desico, Sherry, Jagielo, Mancini, Petzold, Robinson, Norton, Hudson and Doyle.
— ND —