April 28, 2009
Notre Dame vs. UIC
April 28, 2009
- Junior Sam Elam (Mesquite, Texas) made his second start of 2009 and ninth of his career. He struck out four of the first seven UIC batters, including the side in the top of the second inning.
- Elam did hit his first batter of the season in the top of the third inning. He had gone 17.1 innings this season without an HBP. Elam had plunked 10 in 45.0 career innings over his first three years in an Irish uniform.
- Elam fanned six on the night in 3.2 innings of work. It marked the third career appearance for Elam with at least six strikeouts.
- Elam has now struck out 74 in 63.2 career innings, which ranks fourth all-time in ND history for career strikeouts per 9.0 innings (10.46).
- Sophomore Golden Tate (Hendersonville, Tenn.) recorded his 11th RBI of the season in the bottom of the third inning. Tate, who had just eight RBI over Notre Dame’s first 34 games, has now registered an RBI in three consecutive games.
- Sophomore Mick Doyle (LaGrange Park, Ill.) extended his hitting streak to a career-best nine games following an RBI single in the bottom of the third inning. Doyle went 3-for-4 with a run scored and RBI. He has also recorded an RBI in five straight games. Doyle now has four consecutive multi-hit games. Since moving back to third base, Doyle is hitting .517 (15-for-29) in his last eight games.
- Sophomore Evan Danieli (East Hanover, N.J.) made his first appearance for the Irish since leaving the game on Feb. 22 against Purdue after 3.0 innings with tendinitis. The right-handed hurler entered the game with the bases loaded, two outs and struck out Nathan Orf to end the inning.
- Danieli lasted just 0.1 innings and took the defeat. He was charged with two earned runs on two hits, including a two-run home off the bat of Jake Carr. Danieli walked two and struck out one.
- Sophomore David Casey (Whitefish Bay, Wisc.) has now registered a hit in 15 of his last 17 games (one of the two games he failed to register a hit came against Northwestern when he pinch hit).
- Junior Casey Martin (Chesterton, Ind.) drove in his 10th run of the season with a two-out single in the bottom of the fifth inning. Martin entered the at-bat just 3-for-21 with two outs on the season.
- Junior Andrew Scheid (Highlands Ranch, Colo.) tossed 3.0 scoreless innings of relief. The outing was tied for Scheid’s longest of his career. He went 3.0 innings against Toledo on Apr. 17, 2007.
— ND —