March 20, 2015
2015 NCAA DIVISION I WOMEN’S
First-Round Â· #1 Notre Dame vs. #16 Montana
Purcell Pavilion at the Joyce Center Â· Notre Dame, Ind.
Friday, March 20, 2015
Notre Dame Notes:
- Notre Dame is 21-3 all-time in tournament play as a top seed. For the fourth consecutive year, the Irish are a top seed in the NCAA tournament.
- The contest marked Notre Dame’s 20th consecutive NCAA appearance and 22nd overall.
- The victory gives the 2015 senior class 139 victories in their respective careers, which is the most for any class in Notre Dame history.
- Notre Dame led 43-24 at halftime. With the victory, the Irish improved to 29-0 on the season when leading at halftime.
- Jewell Loyd scored 18 points in the contest, which gives her a season total of 694 points. Loyd passed her 2013-14 season total for third place on the all-time single season scoring list.
- Kathryn Westbeld, playing in her first career NCAA tournament game, collected 10 rebounds, marking the second time on the season she reached double-digit rebounds.
- Brianna Turner blocked one shot against Montana, which gives her 78 blocks on the season. Her 78 blocks ties her for fifth all-time in blocks in a season by a Notre Dame player and second all-time in blocks in a season by a Notre Dame freshman.
- Notre Dame recorded its first victory against Montana with the win. The all-time series is now tied at one game apiece. Montana defeated Notre Dame on Dec. 31, 1986 by a score of 50-48.
- Notre Dame improved its season record to 32-2 with the victory.
- Loyd registered her 33rd double-digit performance of the season and the 94th of her career.
- Turner scored in double figures for the 23rd time in her first season as a member of the Fighting Irish.
- Notre Dame shot 62.3% from the field for the game, which is the highest percentage by any Montana opponent this year. The previous high for a Montana opponent was 46.2% by Wake Forest on November 29. Montana entered the game with the fourth-best defensive field goal percentage in the nation at 34.0%.
- Montana’s NCAA Tournament record dropped to 6-21 with the loss to the Fighting Irish. It was Montana’s 21st appearance in the NCAA tournament.
- McCalie Feller attempted six 3-point field goals in the game, which gave her 210 on the season. That total was the most ever in a single season by a Montana player.
- Kellie Rubel played in her 129th game for Montana against Notre Dame, tying her for the school record for games played. Jordan Sullivan (2010-14) also played in 129 contests.
- With their two 3-point field goals in the game, the 2015 Montana team moved into third place all-time in program history for 3-pointers made in a season with 193.
- Montana’s overall record dropped to 24-9 on the season.
- With the loss, Montana dropped to 5-6 on the season when trailing at the half.
- The Lady Griz played in front of 6,198 spectators, which marked the largest crowd the team played in front of all season. The previous high of 3,811 was against Northern Colorado in the Big Sky Conference championship.