Feb. 22, 2012
- Notre Dame upped its win streak to nine games. That is the longest BIG EAST win streak in program history. It’s the longest win streak for the Irish since they won 10 straight during the 2007-08 season (Nov. 24-Jan. 5).
- The Fighting Irish are 12-3 in BIG EAST play. That is the program’s best record through 15 games of BIG EAST play.
- Notre Dame has reached the 20-win plateau (20-8) for the sixth straight season and for the ninth time under head coach Mike Brey (12 seasons). The last time the Irish put together six-straight 20-win seasons was from 1983-89 under head coach Digger Phelps.
- Tonight was the 39th meeting all-time between Notre Dame and West Virginia. The Irish lead the series 27-12, including two wins this season over the Mountaineers. Notre Dame has won its last 11 home games against West Virginia.
- West Virginia’s 44 points were a season-low total for the Mountaineers. The previous low was 48 against Seton Hall (Dec. 30). It also was the lowest point total ever for the Mountaineers against the Irish (39 games). The previous low was 51 from this season’s 55-51 Irish win in Morgantown (Feb. 8).
- Tonight marked the sixth time this season (fourth time in BIG EAST play) that Notre Dame held an opponent under 50 points.
- Eric Atkins (So./G), Pat Connaughton (Fr./G), Jack Cooley (Jr./F), Jerian Grant (So./G) and Scott Martin (Sr./G) started tonight’s contest. It was the ninth straight game – and ninth time overall this season – that quintet has started. The Irish are 9-0 with that starting lineup. Grant and Martin both have a team-high 27 starts this season.
- Notre Dame led 30-28 at halftime. The Irish are 14-1 this season when leading at the intermission.
- The Irish shot 61.4% (27-44) from the field for the game. That matches a season-high total for Notre Dame. The Irish also shot 61.4% against Sacred Heart (December 19th).
- Notre Dame shot 63.2% (12-19) from the floor in the first half. That is the highest percentage for the Irish in a first half this season. The previous high was 59.1% (13-22) versus Sam Houston State (Nov. 16).
- The Irish held West Virginia to just 16 points in the second half. That is the lowest second-half total by an Irish opponent this season. The 16 points are tied for the lowest in any half for an Irish opponent this season. Sam Houston State (Nov. 16) and West Virginia, in the meeting earlier this season on Feb. 8, both scored 16 points in the first half.
- The Irish only committed nine turnovers. That marked the 12th time this season (sixth time in BIG EAST play) that Notre Dame committed fewer than 10 turnovers in a game.
- The Irish are 34-1 in their last 35 home games.
- Notre Dame is 15-1 at home, 5-3 in true road games and 0-4 in neutral site contests this season.
- A Scott Martin three-pointer in the first half upped Notre Dame’s streak of consecutive games with a made three-pointer to 436.
Eric Atkins (So./G)
- Scored in double-figures (13 points) for the 19th time this season (11th time in BIG EAST play)
Pat Connaughton (Fr./G-F)
- Dished out a career-high four assists … previous high was three on three occasions
Jack Cooley (Jr./F)
- Scored 13 points … has scored in double-figures 15 times this season (10 times in BIG EAST play) … tonight was his fifth-straight double-digit scoring effort … that establishes a career-best double-figure scoring streak
Jerian Grant (So./G)
- Tallied 20 points … has scored in double-figures in nine straight games … that is a career-best streak and the longest such streak for any Notre Dame player this season
- Netted 20-plus points for the fourth time this season (second time in BIG EAST play)
- Scored in double-figures for a team-best 23rd time this season (13th time in BIG EAST play)
- Made a career-high four three-pointers (on five attempts)
Scott Martin (Sr./G)
- Scored in double-figures (15 points) for the 14th time this season (ninth time in BIG EAST play)