Feb. 9, 2012
2011-12 Notre Dame Men’s Basketball
Notre Dame 55, West Virginia 51
February 8, 2012
WVU Coliseum – Morgantown, W. Va.
- Tonight was the 38th meeting all-time between Notre Dame and West Virginia. The Irish lead the series 26-12. Tonight’s win snapped Notre Dame’s three-game losing streak in Morgantown. It’s the first win for the Irish at West Virginia since the 2004-05 season. Notre Dame is 9-8 all-time at West Virginia.
- West Virginia’s 51 points were the fewest the Mountaineers have ever scored in 38 meetings with the Irish.
- Notre Dame’s current five-game win streak is its longest of the season. The Irish have won three straight road games.
- Eric Atkins (So./G), Pat Connaughton (Fr./G), Jack Cooley (Jr./F), Jerian Grant (So./G) and Scott Martin (Sr./G) started tonight’s contest. It was the fifth straight game – and fifth time overall this season – that quintet has started. The Irish are 5-0 with that starting lineup. N
- Notre Dame player has started every game. Grant and Martin both have a team-high 23 starts this season.
- The Fighting Irish led 26-16 at halftime. Notre Dame is 12-1 this season when leading at the intermission.
- West Virginia’s 16 first-half points tied the fewest ever allowed by Notre Dame against a BIG EAST opponent in the first half of play. Georgetown netted only 16 points against the Irish on March 4, 2004.
- Tonight marked the third time this season that Notre Dame held an opponent under 20 points in the first half of play. Seton Hall scored 18 points in the first half on Jan. 25 and Sam Houston State had 16 first-half points on Nov. 16
- Notre Dame only committed five turnovers in the game. That is a season-low total for the Irish in BIG EAST play.
- Notre Dame is 12-1 at home, 4-3 in true road games and 0-4 in neutral site contests this season.
- An Jerian Grant three-pointer in the first half upped Notre Dame’s streak of consecutive games with a made three-pointer to 432.
Jack Cooley (Jr./F)
- Notched his team-best seventh double-double of the season (fifth in BIG EAST play) with a game-high 21 points and 12 rebounds … the 12 boards were tied for game-high honors
- The 21 points were the most he’s ever scored in a BIG EAST game … it was his third 20-plus point game of the season (and career)
- Has scored in double-figures 11 times this season (six times in BIG EAST play)
- Tonight was his team-best ninth double-digit rebounding effort of the season (sixth in BIG EAST play)
- Led the Irish in scoring for the sixth time this season and in rebounds for the 15th time
Jerian Grant (So./G)
- Scored in double-figures (12 points) for a team-best 19th time this season (nine times in BIG EAST play)
Scott Martin (Sr./G)
- Scored in double-figures (12 points) for the eighth time in the last nine games and for the 13th time overall this season (eighth time in BIG EAST play)