Dec. 1, 2013
Notre Dame 101, Cornell 67
December 1, 2013
Purcell Pavilion at the Joyce Center
- Notre Dame, Ind.
- Today was the ninth meeting all-time between Notre Dame and Cornell and the first since Nov. 19, 2001 … the Fighting Irish lead the series 8-1 … the last seven encounters have taken place at Notre Dame.
- The Fighting Irish scored a season-high 101 points (previous high was 93 last Sunday versus Army) … the 101 points are the most for Notre Dame since the 104-101 five-overtime victory against Louisville on Feb. 9, 2013 … they are the most points in a 40-minute contest since a 106-65 win over Sacred Heart on Dec. 19, 2011.
- With his 20th point of the game, senior guard Jerian Grant reached the 1,000-point mark for his career … he is the 55th player in program history to reach that milestone … he joins teammate Eric Atkins in Notre Dame’s 1,000-point club … Atkins netted his 1,000th point Nov. 17 versus Indiana State
- Notre Dame had a season-high six double-figure scorers (Grant 20, Atkins 19, Connaughton 18, Sherman 12, Jackson 11, Auguste 10) … it’s the first time the Irish have had six double-figure scorers since the 104-101 five-overtime victory against Louisville on Feb. 9, 2013.
- Notre Dame made a season-high 12 three-pointers (on 25 attempts) … the previous high was 10 against Miami (Ohio) in the season opener.
- Notre Dame had a season-high 28 assists on its 38 made field goals.
- The Fighting Irish had a season-low five turnovers.
- Notre Dame led 41-32 at halftime … the Irish are 5-0 this season when leading at halftime.
- Notre Dame’s largest lead of the game was 37 points (101-64) with 1:02 left in the contest.
- Eric Atkins (Sr./G), Pat Connaughton (Jr./G), Jerian Grant (Sr./G), Demetrius Jackson (Fr./G) and Garrick Sherman (Sr./C) started today’s contest … it was the first career start for Jackson, who became the first true freshman to start for Notre Dame since Connaughton started 18 contests during his rookie campaign in 2011-12 … Atkins, Connaughton, Grant and Sherman have started all six games this season … the Irish have used three different starting lineups this season.
- A three-pointer from Demetrius Jackson in the first half upped Notre Dame’s streak of consecutive games with a made three-pointer to 483.
- Notre Dame is off to a 5-1 start for the second straight season.
- The Fighting Irish improved to 45-4, including 26-0 at home, all-time against teams from the Ivy League … Notre Dame has won 22 straight games against Ivy League opponents … the Irish are 7-0 against the Ivy League under Mike Brey.
- Notre Dame is 122-10 (.924) at home since the beginning of the 2006-07 season … the Irish are 74-2 in their last 76 non-conference home games.
Zach Auguste (So./F)
- Scored 10 points and tied a career-high mark with nine rebounds … has scored in double-figures twice this season and four times during his career.
Eric Atkins (Sr./G)
- Scored a season-high 19 points … it was his fourth straight double-figure effort and the fifth of the season … has reached double-digits 54 times during his career.
Pat Connaughton (Jr./G-F)
- Posted his third career double-double with season-highs for points (18) and rebounds (10) … he is the first Irish player to record a double-double this season.
- Today was his fourth double-digit scoring effort of the season and the 27th of his career … it was the fourth time in his career that he hauled down 10-plus rebounds.
Jerian Grant (Sr./G)
- Netted his 1,000th career point.
- Had a game-high 20 points … he is the only Irish player to reach double-figures in all six games this season … has 60 double-figure efforts in his career (most of any current Irish player).
- Today was the third time this season (11th time of his career) that he reached the 20-point mark.
- Was 8-of-10 from the field, including 2-of-3 from three-point range, and 2-of-2 from the free throw line.
Demetrius Jackson (Fr./G)
- Scored in double-figures (11 points) for the third straight game and third time overall this season.
- Made the first start of his career.
Garrick Sherman (Sr./C)
- Netted 12 points … it was his third straight double-digit effort and the fourth of the season … has scored in double-figures 14 times during his career (13 times while at Notre Dame).
- Dished out a career-high four assists.