Dec. 9, 2013
Notre Dame 70, Bryant 59
BlackRock Gotham Classic (Regional Round)
December 9, 2013
Purcell Pavilion at the Joyce Center
- Notre Dame, Ind.
- Tonight was the second meeting ever between Notre Dame and Bryant … the Fighting Irish won the first encounter, 84-59, on Nov. 27, 2011, inside Purcell Pavilion.
- Pat Connaughton (17 points, 11 rebounds) and Garrick Sherman (14 points, 13 rebounds) became the first set of Notre Dame teammates to record double-doubles in the same game since Connaughton and Jack Cooley did so in last season’s 104-101 five-overtime victory against Louisville on Feb. 9, 2013.
- Notre Dame had 17 assists on its 22 made field goals.
- The Irish led 39-27 at halftime … Notre Dame is 6-0 this season when leading at the intermission.
- Notre Dame’s largest lead of the game was 13 points (40-27) with 19:34 left in the second half … Bryant’s largest lead was five points (17-12) with 11:39 remaining in the first half.
- Eric Atkins (Sr./G), Pat Connaughton (Jr./G), Jerian Grant (Sr./G), Demetrius Jackson (Fr./G) and Garrick Sherman (Sr./C) started tonight’s contest … it was the fourth straight game (and fourth time overall this season) that quintet has started … the Irish are 3-1 when that lineup starts … Atkins, Connaughton, Grant and Sherman have started all nine games this season, while Jackson has four starts.
- A three-pointer from Pat Connaughton in the first half upped Notre Dame’s streak of consecutive games with a made three-pointer to 486.
- The Fighting Irish improved to 20-0 all-time (7-0 under head coach Mike Brey) against teams currently in the Northeast Conference.
- Notre Dame is 124-10 (.925) at home since the beginning of the 2006-07 season … the Irish are 76-2 in their last 78 non-conference home games.
Pat Connaughton (Jr./G-F)
- Posted his second straight double-double with 17 points and 11 rebounds … it was his team-best third double-double of the season (fifth of his career).
- Has scored in double-figures in each of the last four games and seven times overall this season (30 times in his career) … the four-game double-digit scoring streak is a career best.
- Tonight was the sixth time of his career that he hauled down 10 or more rebounds in a game.
Jerian Grant (Sr./G)
- Scored a game-high 23 points … he is the only Irish player to reach double-figures in all nine games this season … has a career-best nine-game double-figure scoring streak.
- Has deposited 20 or more points in back-to-back games and five times overall this season (13 times in his career) … it’s the second time of his career that he’s scored 20-plus points in consecutive games.
- Has 63 double-figure scoring efforts in his career (most of any current Irish player).
- Made a career-high 11 free throws (on 13 attempts).
- Posted nine assists, four steals and two blocked shots.
Garrick Sherman (Sr./C)
- Recorded the first double-double of his career with 14 points and a career-high 13 rebounds … the 13 boards are the most for any Irish player this season.
- Has a career-best six-game double-figure scoring streak … has netted double-figures in seven games this season and 17 times in his career (16 times at Notre Dame).
- Matched a career-high total of three blocked shots.