Feb. 1, 2014
Notre Dame Men’s Basketball Postgame Notes
Notre Dame 76, Boston College 73 (OT)
February 1, 2014
Purcell Pavilion at the Joyce Center – Notre Dame, Ind.
– Eric Atkins’ game-winning three-pointer with 0.8 left in overtime marked the first time Notre Dame won on a “last-second” shot since Tory Jackson’s layup against New Mexico with two seconds left that gave the Irish a 70-68 victory on March 19, 2009, in the second round of the Postseason NIT.
– The Fighting Irish have won eight of their last nine overtime games, including five straight … Notre Dame improved to 15-9 in overtime contests under head coach Mike Brey … this was Notre Dame’s second overtime game this season … the first was an 87-81 win over Canisius on Dec. 29.
– This was the 22nd meeting all-time between Notre Dame and Boston College and the first since a 68-65 Irish victory on Feb. 8, 2005, inside Purcell Pavilion … the Fighting Irish lead the series 12-10, including a 9-4 mark at home … the Irish have won six of the last seven meetings … Notre Dame head coach Mike Brey is 4-1 all-time versus Boston College.
– Eric Atkins (Sr./G), Pat Connaughton (Jr./G), Steve Vasturia (Fr./G), Zach Auguste (So./F) and Garrick Sherman (Sr./C) started today’s contest … it was the second straight game and second time overall this season that the Irish have used this starting lineup … Atkins, Connaughton and Sherman have started all 22 games this season … it was the sixth start of the season for Auguste and the third for Vasturia.
– Notre Dame had four players score in double-figures (Atkins 24, Connaughton 17, Auguste 10, Beachem 10) for the first time since the Georgia Tech game on Jan. 11.
– Notre Dame trailed 29-26 at halftime … the Irish are 3-9 this season when trailing at the intermission.
– Boston College sophomore guard Olivier Hanlan entered the game as the third-leading scorer in the ACC (18.0 ppg. in league play) … he was held to a season-low five points.
– The Irish held a 36-27 rebound edge … Notre Dame is 9-3 this season when outrebounding its opponent.
– Notre Dame committed just nine turnovers … it marked the 11th time this season (fifth time in ACC play) that the Irish had fewer than 10 turnovers in a game.
– Notre Dame is 8-2 this season when wearing white uniforms.
– A three-pointer from Steve Vasturia in the first half upped Notre Dame’s streak of consecutive games with a made three-pointer to 499.
Eric Atkins (Sr./G)
– Scored in double-figures (a game-high 24 points) for the 17th time this season and the 66th time of his career … has netted double-figures in eight of nine ACC games … 20 of his points came in the second half and overtime. – Netted 20-plus points for the fifth time this season and the ninth time of his career … has scored 20 or more points in three ACC contests.
Zach Auguste (So./F)
– Scored in double-figures (10 points) for the fifth time this season (second in ACC play) and the seventh time of his career … it’s the second time this season (and career) that he’s scored in double-figures in consecutive games.
V.J. Beachem (Fr./F)
– Scored a career-high 10 points (previous high was 6 versus Canisius on Dec. 29).
Pat Connaughton (Jr./G-F)
– Scored in double-figures (17 points) for the 17th time this season … has reached double-figures in seven of nine ACC games … has 40 double-figure efforts in his career. – Pulled down a game-high nine rebounds.