Feb. 16, 2014
Notre Dame Men’s Basketball Postgame Notes
Notre Dame 73, Boston College 69
February 16, 2014
Silvio O. Conte Forum – Chestnut Hill, Mass.
– This was the second meeting this season and the 23rd all-time between the two programs … Notre Dame topped Boston College 76-73 in overtime on Feb. 1 … the Irish lead the series 13-10 … the Fighting Irish have won seven of the last eight meetings … Notre Dame is 3-6 all-time at Boston College and this was the first meeting in Chestnut Hill since Feb. 4, 2004 (a 76-69 Eagle victory) … Notre Dame head coach Mike Brey is 5-1 all-time versus Boston College.
– This was Notre Dame’s first Atlantic Coast Conference road victory … the Irish are 1-6 in true road games this season (1-5 in the ACC).
– The Fighting Irish have won back-to-back ACC contests for the first time.
– Notre Dame shot 50.9% (27-53) from the field … it was the first time the Irish shot 50% or above from the floor since they shot 52.6% against Duke on Jan. 4.
– Eric Atkins (Sr./G), Pat Connaughton (Jr./G), Steve Vasturia (Fr./G), Zach Auguste (So./F) and Garrick Sherman (Sr./C) started tonight’s contest … Notre Dame is 2-3 this season with this starting lineup … Atkins, Connaughton and Sherman have started all 26 games this season … it was the 10th start of the season for Auguste and the sixth for Vasturia.
– Notre Dame only committed seven turnovers … it marked the 12th time this season (sixth time in ACC play) that the Irish had fewer than 10 turnovers in a game.
– Notre Dame led 38-35 at halftime … the Irish are 11-1 this season when leading at the intermission.
– The Fighting Irish are 1-5 this season when wearing blue uniforms.
– A three-pointer from Eric Atkins in the first half upped Notre Dame’s streak of consecutive games with a made three-pointer to 503.
Eric Atkins (Sr./G)
– Scored in double-figures (16 points) for the 20th time this season and the 69th time of his career … has netted double-figures in 11 of 13 ACC games. – Was 4-of-5 from three-point range – Played all 40 minutes … it was the eighth time this season (sixth time in ACC play) that he’s played every minute of a contest.
Zach Auguste (So./F)
– Scored in double-figures (10 points) for the third straight game, which is a career-best streak … has eight double-digit efforts this season and 10 for his career. – Has netted double-digits five times in the last six games.
Pat Connaughton (Jr./G-F)
– Scored in double-figures (a team-high 17 points) for the 20th time this season and the 43rd time of his career … has netted double-figures in 10 of 13 ACC games. – Played all 40 minutes … it marked the seventh time this season (fifth time in ACC play) that he’s played every minute of a contest.
Tom Knight (GS/F)
– Scored 10 points and tied a career-high mark with a season-high nine rebounds (a team-high total). – Tonight was his second double-figure scoring effort of the season … the first was when he netted 13 points against Miami (Ohio) in the season opener … has eight double-figure scoring efforts for his career.