April 29, 2000
NOTRE DAME, Ind. — The Notre Dame men’s and women’s outdoor track and field teams will send a select group of its members to the prestigious Drake Relays in Des Moines, Iowa, this weekend. The meet is scheduled to begin Friday, April 28, and ends Saturday, April 29. A record 9,166 athletes, representing 791 teams, will participate in the competition at Drake Stadium.
The following is a list of Notre Dame participants in the Drake Relays:
|Name||Class||Event||Top 2000 Time/Mark|
|Chris Cochran||Senior||4X100 Relay/400 Meters||40.22 / 47.40|
|Travis Davey||Junior||4X100 Relay||40.22|
|Tom Gilbert||Freshman||4X100 Relay||40.22|
|Marshaun West||Senior||4X100 Relay||40.22|
|Tim Kober||Senior||800 Meters||1:49.35|
|Matt Thompson||Senior||Hammer/Discus||174-1 / 171-6|
|Luke Watson||Sophomore||4X1600||8:46.98 (Steeplechase)|
|John Dudley||Senior||4X1600||14:51.83 (5,000 meters)|
|Jennifer Engelhardt||Senior||High Jump||5-9|
|Carrie Lenz||Junior||400 Hurdles||1:05.68|
|Dore DeBartolo||Sophomore||Hammer/Discus||182-10 / 143-1|
|Jamie Volkmer||Freshman||Triple Jump/Pole Vault||39-10 3/4 / 11-5|
- Cochran (Crystal Lake, Ill.) ran the fastest time in the 400 for the Irish this season, as well as being a member of the school record-breaking 4X100 relay team.
- Davey (St. James, N.Y.) has the seventh-best 200 meter time in the BIG EAST this season and was a member of the school record-setting 4X100 relay team (40.22).
- Gilbert (Rock Falls, Ill.) will participate in his first Drake Relays.
- West (Sikeston, Mo.) was the 1999 BIG EAST Outdoor Most Outstanding Track Performer after winning the 200 meters, placing second in the 100 and earning all-BIG EAST honors with the 4×400-meter relay team. His 7.65 meter effort in the long jump on March 24 is the top conference mark this season.
- Kober (Gillette, N.J.) will run in the university level 800 meters at the Drake Relays. He has the fourth-best time in the BIG EAST this season of 1:49.35.
- Thompson’s (Granite Bay, Calif.) 174-1 hammer throw is the best in the BIG EAST this season.
- Watson’s (Stillwater, Minn.) steeplechase time is the 10th-best in the country this season and the top time in the BIG EAST.
- Engelhardt (Battle Creek, Mich.) is a two-time indoor All-American in the high jump and the Notre Dame school record holder.
- Lenz (London, Ont.) has the sixth-best time in the BIG EAST this season in the 400-meter hurdles.
- DeBartolo (Aurora, Ill.) set a new school record of 182-10 in the hammer throw this season.
- Volkmer (Kearney, Neb.) has had an immediate impact on the program, setting new triple jump (39-10 3/4) and pole vault (11-6) records in her first season.
Purdue Invitational: Both teams will send the rest of their rosters to the Boiler Open this weekend in West Lafayette, Ind. Sophomore Liz Grow (New Braunfels, Texas) will look to repeat her performance at the Boiler Open last season, where she won the 100 and 200 meters, respectively. On the men’s side, junior Terry Wray (Brandon, Miss.) will get the opportunity to defend his 200 meter title.
Upcoming: Both teams will prepare for the 2000 BIG EAST outdoor championships in Piscataway, N.J., May 5-7. The men’s team finished second at the 1999 BIG EAST outdoor championships, while the women’s team placed third.
2000 TOP TIMES
|M – Cochran, Chris||10.77|
|W – Grow, Liz||11.96|
|M – Cochran, Chris||21.55|
|W – Grow, Liz||24.18|
|M – Cochran, Chris||47.40|
|W – Grow, Liz||53.35#|
|M – Mishka, Phil||1:48.01#|
|W – Brady, Leanne||2:13.29|
|M – Conway, Pat||3:50.72|
|W – Patty Rice||4:27.66|
|W – Handley, Jennifer||9:48.85|
|M – Arce, Antonio||14:02.41#|
|W – Schmidt, Muffy||17:49.07|
|M – Shay, Ryan||28:26.31@$|
|W – Klemmer, Alison||34:30.16#|
|M – Watson, Luke||8:46.98#$|
|W – King, Tameisha||14.23|
|M – Hamilton, Steve||16.12|
|M – Mansour, Mike||54.34|
|W – Lenz, Carri||1:02.33|
|M – Notre Dame||40.22 $|
|W – Notre Dame||46.32 $|
|M – Notre Dame||3:13.34|
|W – Notre Dame||4:02.18|
|M – Dyer, Derek||15.79m/51-9 3/4|
|W – DeBartolo, Dore||13.10m/42-11 3/4|
|M – Thompson, Matt||52.28m/171-6|
|W – DeBartolo, Dore||43.62m/143-1|
|M – Thompson, Matt||53.06m/174-1|
|W – DeBartolo, Dore||55.72m/182-10$|
|M – O’Brien, Matt||57.86m/189-10|
|W – Duplechain, Andre||36.14m/118-7 $|
|M – Redwine, Quill||1.98m/6-6|
|W- Engelhardt, Jennifer||1.75m/5-9|
|M – West, Marshaun||7.65m/25-1 1/4#|
|W – King, Tameisha||6.12m/20-1$|
|M – Redwine, Quill||14.45m/47-5|
|W – Volkmer, Jamie||12.16m/39-10 3/4 $|
|M – Cahill, Nathan||4.72m/15-6|
|W – Volkmer, Jamie||3.51m/11-6$|
$ = Notre Dame School Record
* = Hand Time
@ = NCAA Auto. QT
# = NCAA Prov. QT