April 3, 2014
NOTRE DAME, Ind, — The University of Notre Dame women’s golf team travels to the Ole Miss Golf Course in Oxford, Miss., this weekend for the Ole Miss Rebel Intercollegiate Tournament.
The Ole Miss Rebel Intercollegiate Tournament consists of 18 teams, including last year’s winner, Coastal Carolina. Five of the 18 teams are ranked in the top 50. Head coach Susan Holt wants to take the opportunity this weekend to compete against those ranked teams and continue to improve on the season.
“This field gives us an opportunity to beat four teams currently ranked ahead of us. So far this spring we have failed to beat a team ranked ahead of us,” Holt says. “It would be a step in the right direction if we can get that done this weekend. I am looking for solid play over all three days, which is also something else we have yet to do this spring. Doing so should get us in the mix and a strong top-three finish.”
Notre Dame is looking to bounce back after finishing 11th of 15 teams at the LSU Tiger Golf Classic two weeks ago. Nhim and Ferreira improved steadily during the three rounds. Nhim shot 69(-3) in her third round to post a score of 224, which earned her 13th place while Ferreira finished +11 and tied for 20th.
During the two-week break from competition, the Irish have had the opportunity to practice outside for the first time in South Bend. Holt is ready to have her team back in action this weekend.
“I am looking forward to getting out and competing again this weekend. We have been able to get outside and practice twice this past week, which has been extremely helpful,” Holt explains.
The Irish are looking to finish strong in their last regular season meet before they start post-season play. The tournament is filled with great competition that will help the Irish prepare for their post-season run in the ACC and NCAA Tournaments.
“The players just need to keep improving each time out. If they can do that it will be added preparation for what lies ahead in the ACC Championship and NCAA tournament.” Holt says.
- Participating Teams: Coastal Carolina, Colorado State, East Tennessee State (No. 43), Furman, GRU Augusta (No. 32), Harvard, Kennesaw State, Kentucky (No. 27), Memphis, Murray State, Notre Dame (No. 44), Ole Miss, Samford, South Florida, Southern Miss, Tennessee, Texas State, Tulane (No. 33).
- Location: Oxford, Miss. Ole Miss Golf Course (Par; 72 6,313).
- Format: Three-day, 54-hole tournament with 18 holes to be played each day.
- Tee Times: Friday and Saturday Tee times start at 7:15 a.m. There will be an 8:15 a.m. shotgun start on Sunday.
- Live Coverage: Live scoring will be showed at www.golfstat.com. There will also be a home page for the tournament on the women’s golf page at olemisssports.com.